2848 POA MFJ with Deceased Taxpayer and Living Spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2848 POA MFJ with Deceased Taxpayer and Living Spouse

I need to change the city and zip code on a tax return I prepared. The refund check was returned to IRS because of incorrect address.

I called and IRS says I need to file a POA 2848 (I'm an E.A.) to make this change.

Taxpayer is deceased, but Spouse is alive.

Will one 2848 for the Spouse be sufficient for me to call and get the zip code changed? The 1040 return was "Filed as Surviving Spouse" for taxpayer signature.
    I do realize that each 2848 is for one person. I just want to be sure they won't require a 2848 for him with some sort of signature from someone.

Also, the Change of Address form requires both signatures. Can "Filed as Surviving Spouse" be put on that form?

Thanks for the help. I really have not done very many 2848 forms.

Originally posted by dmj4 View Post
    I need to change the city and zip code on a tax return I prepared. The refund check was returned to IRS because of incorrect address.

I called and IRS says I need to file a POA 2848 (I'm an E.A.) to make this change.

Taxpayer is deceased, but Spouse is alive.

Will one 2848 for the Spouse be sufficient for me to call and get the zip code changed? The 1040 return was "Filed as Surviving Spouse" for taxpayer signature.
    I do realize that each 2848 is for one person. I just want to be sure they won't require a 2848 for him with some sort of signature from someone.

Also, the Change of Address form requires both signatures. Can "Filed as Surviving Spouse" be put on that form?

Thanks for the help. I really have not done very many 2848 forms.
    Have you tried reading the instructions for form 2848? See pages 3 & 5.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Did the return you prepared have the wrong address on it, or did the surviving spouse move after the return was filed?

If the former, I believe an amended return will be needed. The surviving spouse should sign it and file it.

If the address was correct, but the surviving spouse moved, why isn't the mail being forwarded?

In either case, I don't see why a F-2848 is necessary. Either an amended return or simple correspondence ... i.e. a letter signed by the surviving spouse, not you ... should suffice.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

I agree with Roland
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I did read the instructions for form 2848. I did not feel that if covered my situation, exactly.

The wrong address was on the original return.

IRS specifically asked for the 2848 to allow me to change the address.

I have the signed 2848 now, so if that doesn't work I will do an amended return. I had to send the form before I received ans answer on this board or I would have sent an amended to her instead.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Comment

Form 2848 permits you (taxpreparer) to speak on behalf of the taxpayer (client). Form 8822 is a change of address form submitted to the IRS. IRS correspondence, especially refund checks, are not forwarded by the US Postal Service.

Comment

The only thing wrong with the return is the address. There is no need for an amended return. Send a change of address form, a copy of the original return (signed) and the Death Certificate certified.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X