depreciation quetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depreciation quetion

client has new s corp that buys and resells houses/duplexes. last yr(2005) bought 5 houses all around august 15. holding right now, paying mortgages, etc. (no renters).
    are these houses depreciable and as what...inventory?
    (finishing up 2005 1120S), thanks for all responses.

If you are buying and selling houses without renting, then the houses are inventory. No depreciation.

If you place them in service in a rental activity, then you start the depreciation process.

Comment

Depends on intent.

Your question indicates this is a "flipping" activity, the company buys homes, maybe fixes up, with the INTENT to resale shortly. The properties are then inventory and no depreciation is taken, repairs are added to inventory, and income or loss is ordinary. (Incidently, this is the ONLY scenario where it POSSIBLY is okay for a corp to hold real estate. Even then it's shaky, a debate for another day.)

On the other hand, if the INTENT is to rent (and actions support it), then they are no longer inventory and depreciation is available. But this is generally not a good activity in a corporation.

Doug

Comment

What does this word "flipping" mean. It sounds like scam talk. Kinda like when an individual wants to talk about "cash flow".

Comment

Real Estate jargon for ..

buy, fix up and sell. Usually the plan is to do in a short period of time. Plans don't always work out.

Doug

Comment

Flipping

My understanding of "Flipping" (what I have seen) is buying a property, and the same day or next day, putting it up for sale at a higher price. I have a client who was successfully doing this with vacation homes during a hot market, however, the party is now over, the market has stableized. No this is not a scam, just specaulative investing, taking a risk.

Comment

Here it's a short term ownership of a house. It's comman for this sort of thing to start in an overheated market usually near the top before the bubble burst. I have 3 new LLC or Corp clients who started doing this in the last year. They buy distressed properties, often at foreclosure or tax sale, throw some paint on the walls and carpet on the floor, unplug the drains, mow the weeds and put it back on the market. All in hopes of making a profit. Of course things don't always work out.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
              X