Farm Partnership Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Partnership Question

Multi-member LLC owns and operates a farm. It is taxed as a partnership and files Form 1065.

The farmland includes a farmhouse. The farmland and the farmhouse are owned by the LLC.

One member of the LLC lives in the farmhouse, and actively works on the farm. He does not pay rent to the LLC.

Is the FMV of the rent considered income to the member?

Are expenses of the house, such as property tax, utilities, and repairs and maintenance, deductible for the LLC?

Can the LLC depreciate the house? If so, over how many years? What asset class?

BMK
    Last edited by Koss; 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM.
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Lodging furnished to an employee (and his immediate family) is nontaxable to the employee if: (1) the lodging is furnished for the convenience of the employer, and (2) the employee is required to accept the lodging as a condition of his employment (i.e. to properly perform his duties). See Code §119 and Regs §1.119-1(b).

If the above conditions are met for the resident employee, then it follows that most costs of maintaining the house would be deductible as ordinary and necessary business expenses.

The value (not the cost) of lodging that fails to meet these tests is income to the employee. See Regs §1.61-2(d)(3) and Regs §1.119-1(a)(1).
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Lodging provided to partner

Roland Slugg wrote:

Lodging furnished to an employee (and his immediate family) is nontaxable to the employee if...
      This is kind of what I was thinking, after reading a similar reference in IRS Publication 225.

But I wasn't sure if this would be applicable, because a partner who is working for the partnership is not an employee. He gets a K-1, not a W-2, and the compensation is considered self-employment income.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
        Roland Slugg wrote:

This is kind of what I was thinking, after reading a similar reference in IRS Publication 225.

But I wasn't sure if this would be applicable, because a partner who is working for the partnership is not an employee. He gets a K-1, not a W-2, and the compensation is considered self-employment income.

BMK
        You might want to look at an article from April, 2015 in the Tax Adviser. Citations given both pro and con.

Comment

Employer-provided meals and lodging

New York Enrolled Agent wrote:

You might want to look at an article from April, 2015 in the Tax Adviser. Citations given both pro and con.
          Thank you! This definitely answers the question. Apparently the courts are split on whether the exclusion can be applied to a partner working for a partnership.

I'm surprised that this is not a settled issue. I suspect that such arrangements are very common, and not just on farms.

BMK
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
          X