X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto Uncle Sam!

Comment

A good backup program can save a lot of heartache

Even if you are a one person shop a case can be made for using a server client setup. We have the RAID array in the server for redundancy. Each night it backs up to an external drive and ten uploads to the cloud. We were hit with a ransom ware attach last year and were down for only about 2 hours before everything was back to normal with loss of only a few hours work. We since have purchased an extra work station fully loaded with software that we can slip in for any machine that goes down. Since the data is on the server you are good to go in an hour or so. With computer prices so low you can buy a pretty powerful machine for the cost of just a monitor not too long ago.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
        Even if you are a one person shop a case can be made for using a server client setup. We have the RAID array in the server for redundancy. Each night it backs up to an external drive and ten uploads to the cloud. We were hit with a ransom ware attach last year and were down for only about 2 hours before everything was back to normal with loss of only a few hours work. We since have purchased an extra work station fully loaded with software that we can slip in for any machine that goes down. Since the data is on the server you are good to go in an hour or so. With computer prices so low you can buy a pretty powerful machine for the cost of just a monitor not too long ago.
        Very smart policy.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

This is a first for me! The week since 4/18 has not ended and already 2 of my extensions are ready to file their final return. I think if they had tried a bit harder they could have made the deadline. One fellow was just too lazy to drive 10 miles to get a copy of his W2 from an ex employer. He wanted the employer to mail it to him.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            This is a first for me! The week since 4/18 has not ended and already 2 of my extensions are ready to file their final return. I think if they had tried a bit harder they could have made the deadline. One fellow was just too lazy to drive 10 miles to get a copy of his W2 from an ex employer. He wanted the employer to mail it to him.
            Good for you. Just think of that additional revenue you are making and how it makes you feel better.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Great tax season. Total Efiled returns completed over 300 and 27 extensions so still more work to do. My business increases every year from 100 returns first season in 2007. I mainly do 1040, but I've prepared 1120, 1120S, 1065, 1041, and 990T, 15 different states and over 40 returns by email or snail mail for people I never saw all over the country and the world. Every year I think I could not have done one more return and then the next year I do more. Always new and interesting issues to deal with. I love my customers and love what I do. Word of mouth is my total advertising. Reading all the posts about system going down, makes me think I need to look at Tax Slayer new program that is totally on line and all information stored in the cloud so this would never be an issue. Hadn't given it a lot of thought until reading these posts and think I will take a look now.

Comment

Congratulations Bonnie. Going from 100 returns to 300 organically is very impressive. You may also want to take a look at Drake both the desktop based and online cloud based system for your future growth. This is the right time to test out new systems to meet your needs. Most companies will give you a complete 2016 version to evaluate and even file a few returns as you are evaluating.
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                  Reading all the posts about system going down
                  totally on line and all information stored in the cloud so this would never be an issue.
                  Oh, are you in for a surprise someday.
                  "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
                  X