How did your tax season go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did your tax season go?

Just curious as we wind down, was business volume up, down or similar to last season?

Mine was about the same as last season, a few didn't come back, but I picked up a few new ones so about the same. Glad it's winding down! Ready to go to the beach Wednesday!

Comment

Technically, mine was about that same. But by that I mean I'm assuming the 15-18 that I fired last fall would have been burning up my phone lines over this past weekend leaving messages for me to file last-minute extensions. Aside from them, only a couple of clients didn't return this year, and I turned down several new ones. So if I net everything out, volume would have been about the same if this had been a normal, routine year for me. As it is, I'm scaling back trying to transition into that next phase of the retirement glide path.
      Last edited by JohnH; 04-17-2017, 11:34 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Stays consistent year to year. More extensions this year, compared to past. Hope everyone has a great Spring and Summer !!!!

Comment

End of Tax Year - Always think of Quitting

This time of the year, I think seriously about not another year. This time of the year I go through my clients to eliminate a few for next year while I can still remember why I don't want them to come back. I'm down about 10 which is fine. May eliminate the EIC and K1's.

Comment

This season was more stressful than last year. I was thinking about it last night laying in bed sleepless!

I lost about 20 clients. Some were 3 or 4 years with me and now they have started self preparing! Some moved away and the 30 minutes or more driving distance is too much for them.

I had to file a lot of extensions this week because for some reason information was missing. Client's are refusing to complete the organizers!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

One of the smoothest in recent years. Up about 9%, no really ugly ones, no identity theft and lower than normal amending prior year returns for new clients.

Comment

Mine was slightly less than last year, as I am taking no new clients, a couple moved out of state, 2 or 3 died the year before, so I am down about 10. That's fine. Whether to do it next year or not, I have heard it said -- its like having a baby. You say never again at the time, and then a year rolls around, and you think, "well, it wasn't so bad......"
                No identity theft cases this year at all.

Comment

How Did Tax Season Go?

I found it more stressful - more clients came in unprepared than ever - required a 2nd visit - and took longer to complete the return.
                  More clients waited until the last 3 weeks - even if they don't have brokerage account issues.
                  And more misconception of tax rules - heard from 3rd parties.
                  Why they don't consult us DURING the year when they make financial decisions I don't know.
                  Had less problems with tax software (Ultra Tax) than prior years.
                  Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Tax season was fairly stable

Can't address changes due to "driving distances." A large amount of my clients live in other cities/states, and we do quite well with USPS $6.65 envelopes and email contact.

**ALL** clients are e-filed. The bulk of refunds, debits, and 2017 estimated tax payments are handled electronically (established at the time of e-file). Fortunately, no identity issues this season so perhaps things are getting better "out there."

While I provide (via email!) personalized client organizers to all clients, less than 50% bother to use them. That is neither a +/- to me. . .I do not "demand" their use.

As for people doing their own taxes, that is just a trend that is here. Must accept it. Software of the TurboTax type has gotten darn good for someone who takes the time to read/answer the questions carefully. I'm sure the store-front tax businesses are doing well charging ~$200 for a simple return with a couple of W2s, EITC, and bank products tied in. More power to them! But, even for the Blocks of the world, at some point their clients will go "Whoa. . .I can do that!!"

I will say my complicated returns this year were. . .really complicated, so I earned my keep. Many clients continue to come to me because of long-established relationships, and the complexity of their returns is all over the place.

Only two extensions this year. One for myself (98% done in March. . .but you know how that other 2% fill-in can be challenging!), and the other for a client with a box full of PTP K-1s. . .and I never hear from him until the first week of April anyway.

All in all, cannot complain other than health (vision) issues continue to be a problem. Alas.

FE

Comment

Have to agree with Uncle Sam. Clients poorly prepared and having to drag details out of them at the last minute. I have 423 returns completed and 64 extensions so will be down about a dozen from last year when the smoke clears.
                      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Referrals were up this year resulting in increased revenue. Not sure why the sudden increase but it one of the busiest tax seasons for me ever. That's the good news.

The bad news is clients were later than ever despite my continued coaxing to get in early. The compression of work nearly killed me.
                        Last edited by ttbtaxes; 04-19-2017, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I think I'm jinxed from saying tax season was smooth. Today I'm dealing with a busted water heater and water all over the basement floor, and a business client that decided in March to switch from QB desktop to QB on-line. I don't think they could have screwed it up more if they actually tried.

Comment

This was supposed to be a great year for me. I was starting down the glidepath to full retirement, stopped all advertising (but would accept referrals). I usually picked up around 35 each year. So between the normal attrition and no new looked like a good path to be on. Then about three weeks before the end my computer system went down (hard drive failure), ultimately taking most of my data and returns with it. After hours with tech attempting recovery, replacing hard drives (going to solid state now), and hours with ATX tech support (they were great) I finally got up to full speed about one week to go. Then on Easter, crash again, with Monday and Tuesday being nightmares. I have 40 on extension. Jeez. Computer working great today...go figure. Going to take my wife to lunch today...I think I was hard on her the last few days if no weeks.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that you had all those troubles. I can't imagine having a computer go down during tax season.

Last Friday, I was having trouble logging onto the electronic filing site of ProSystem FX. They were having some problem and that caused a knot in my stomach.

I would suggest having a second computer solely for use as a backup and back up your data every day in tax season. At least that way you can hit the ground running if the main one goes on the fritz. With ProSystem FX, you copy the entire directory then paste it onto the backup computer and you're ready to roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X