Medical Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Expenses

My client was in and out of the hospital, in and out of skilled nursing and/or nursing home and paid cash out of her pocket of it all. She also had her main residence that she always expected to return to upon her recovery.
    Can she take the $40K she paid for her nursing home expenses off on SCH A? Her total expenses total $50K.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Tanya

How old was she at the time? No insurance? No medicare?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuewalker View Post
      My client was in and out of the hospital, in and out of skilled nursing and/or nursing home and paid cash out of her pocket of it all. She also had her main residence that she always expected to return to upon her recovery.
      Can she take the $40K she paid for her nursing home expenses off on SCH A? Her total expenses total $50K.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Tanya
      Those expenses qualify as medical expenses and can be taken on Sche A (over any insurance/long-term care payments.)

Comment

She was 89 and had Medicare and Secondary insurance.

Comment

She can take it all.

Comment

No reimbursements ??

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            She can take it all.
            One would think there would be some insurance reimbursements along the way, for the situation described.

Perhaps not. . .

(I will avoid sticking my toe into the "but look who gets FREE health care!!" waters. . . .)

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
              One would think there would be some insurance reimbursements along the way, for the situation described.
              FE
              Only if she had L-T Care Insurance. Many, many people do not. OP said she was "in-and-out." Medicare sometimes picks up rehab immediately following a qualified hospital stay admission, but not always.

Comment

Working...
              X