Sale of rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of rental

Ok, I know I saw this somewhere, but can't find again. My brain is fried and I'm just tired!! I thought someone here might just know right off from experience. I have a client that sold a rental, I know I must decrease basis by depreciation she got or could have gotten, I know I add selling costs and repairs to basis. However, my question is can any other non deducted expenses be added to basis? For example, she did not rent the house for like 1 1/2 years in anticipation of selling. She paid property taxes (not deducted on E or A) and she had to pay for security system (bad neighborhood). Can I add that to her basis for figuring gain on the sale?

Technically speaking, the property tax and security system should have been deducted in the year paid if the intention was to put it to rent, waiting for the right time to sell.

But if it was taken off the market with the intention of selling, and no one lived in that apartment, I suppose you could add that to basis.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Yes, it was not available for rent therefore no E or deduction, and TP did not fill out an A.

Comment

Know there were many similar posts. Here is one of the many if helpful

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

This is house was NOT available for rent for the last 1 1/2 years and no expenses were taken. Just wondering if can add non deducted expenses like property tax and security system and house insurance to basis to calculate gain. Makes practical sense, but IRS is not practical! I have not done a search on this board yet, and I know everyone else is busy and tired like me, so I don't expect anyone to waste time on this. Just thought that maybe some of you may have experienced this and can share how you handled it. Thanks!!!

Comment

Here is one more:

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Is this really a rental property ?

How did / do you rationalize a Schedule E for a piece of property that is not even available for rent ?

Property taxes of just about any (non-business) kind can always go to Schedule A.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                How did / do you rationalize a Schedule E for a piece of property that is not even available for rent ?

Property taxes of just about any (non-business) kind can always go to Schedule A.

FE
                I do not rationalize a schedule E for a place not available for rent. That is why these expenses were not reported on E, but it was rented at one time, then expenses were reported on E.

Comment

Working...
                X