POA Fax thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POA Fax thing

In days of yore, we could be discussing a tax matter with the IRS and if they needed a POA to discuss with you, they would have a fax machine in the hallway and you could fax the thing to them in a matter of seconds.

Those days are gone. Is there a new strategy that is effective? Is there a central fax number we are now supposed to use?

Did you look at the F-2848 instructions, Snag? The number is right there. The nationwide fax number is (855) 772-3156, but there is one specific for Tennessee ... (855) 214-7519. If you're already in contact with an IRS agent, ask him if he has a number you can use that will speed up the process.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
      In days of yore, we could be discussing a tax matter with the IRS and if they needed a POA to discuss with you, they would have a fax machine in the hallway and you could fax the thing to them in a matter of seconds.

Those days are gone. Is there a new strategy that is effective? Is there a central fax number we are now supposed to use?
      If you use a central fax number it can take days or weeks to be recorded. You can fax the form while on the line with them to the specific number they will provide to get immediate authorization.

Comment

Thanks - timely response is the issue

I acknowledge both of the replies as well as the instructors. After being on the horn with the IRS, I was given a dead-end street when asking about a fax as opposed to snail mail. He said it was no longer possible to fax directly to the telephone assistant.

I thought there might be a short cut, as the days (or even weeks) to process the thing are apparently not avoidable.

Comment

I acknowledge both of the replies as well as the instructors. After being on the horn with the IRS, I was given a dead-end street when asking about a fax as opposed to snail mail. He said it was no longer possible to fax directly to the telephone assistant.

I thought there might be a short cut, as the days (or even weeks) to process the thing are apparently not avoidable.
          Last time I needed it worked that way, but that was last fall. They may have changed procedure. You use the practitioner priority line, correct?

Comment

Still works for me...

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
            Last time I needed it worked that way, but that was last fall. They may have changed procedure. You use the practitioner priority line, correct?
            I just did this yesterday. I had called the practitioner priority line, and the rep gave me a fax number to send him my 2848. Three minutes later, he had it. Easy-peasy. I don't know why your rep told you that ability didn't exist anymore

Comment

Restricted Fax Capability

Originally posted by CAErinB View Post
              I just did this yesterday. I had called the practitioner priority line, and the rep gave me a fax number to send him my 2848. Three minutes later, he had it. Easy-peasy. I don't know why your rep told you that ability didn't exist anymore
              Actually I did have one offer (out of 4 different spokesmen) to do same. However, my fax capability is tied in with my phone and I would have had to break the phone line to send it to her. She did say that wouldn't work.

Sooooo, part of the problem is my own.

Comment

Actually I did have one offer (out of 4 different spokesmen) to do same. However, my fax capability is tied in with my phone and I would have had to break the phone line to send it to her. She did say that wouldn't work.

Sooooo, part of the problem is my own.
                I have the same setup. To make it work, I call on my cell phone so the land line is free to fax the POA while on the phone w/ the rep.

Comment

Originally posted by CAErinB View Post
                  OMG! An IRS employee lied to get out of work...
                  I can tell you that the CAF unit does not have a preparer or fax number. My understanding is that it goes to the same service office as the tax return and they send it on to CAF. Call the EServices help line (866) 255-0654. They answer a log faster and can give you correct fax number for POA's.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X