Two Forms 1095-A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Forms 1095-A

This is an unusual situation and I am not sure that I or the software is handling it right. MFJ taxpayers had insurance through the marketplace with PTC. He became eligible for Medicare in July, 2016, so after that only she was covered under the Healthkeepers plan with a reduced PTC. I have two 1095-A's. One for Jan-July for both, and one for July-Dec for only her. Both have an amount on these forms for July, although on the combined 1095-A, it is for a reduced amount, about 45% of prior premium. On hers, the July premium is about 55% of the premium compared with the rest of the year for her. Do I fill out two 8962's? I am not even sure I can do this. For July, I combined the two amounts across the form. I have never seen a split month!

I was thinking of filing them MFS, but then I would have to allocate 50% of the premium to each for the first half of the year, right? To further complicate things, he decided to cash in a whopping amount of a long-held mutual fund, so if I file them jointly it all has to be paid back. He doesn't have his basis, and we are waiting for the fund to calculate all the reinvested dividends/cap gains for 30 years, and will probably have to file an extension anyway. It was not in joint names.

Yes, in most cases you add the two together for columns A and C. In most cases, you don't add the two together for the SCLSP (see link):

Yes, if you file MFS you allocate 50% to each spouse. Although it does disqualify the Premium Tax Credit, it could limit the repayment.

Comment

Working...
    X