Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Care does not meet ACA

I am so frustrated!

Taxpayer had coverage through Optimum One (Calif) in 2016 and paid $300 per month

Optimum One says they will not issue 1095 form as the plan does not meet the ACA - minimum essential requirements. The Rep was very "rude" when I phoned. End of conversation!

So as a result the Taxpayer/Spouse thought they were doing the right thing and now are"hit" with a penalt of $ 1,390 for tax year 2016.Apparently no one at Optimum One informed them, so buyer beware!

Anything we can do to eliminate the $ 1,390 penalty on the Tax Return
    Thanks

Sandy

Sorry, Sandy, and this is not a direct reply to your tax question. However, your client should file a complaint with the insurance oversight board - I do not know the exact name. This is outrageous unless client is at fault.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think anything in regards to non-qualifying insurance can waive the penalty. You can check if the taxpayer fits any of the exemptions, but otherwise, I think they are stuck with the penalty. Sorry.

If you don't have health coverage, you may have to pay a fee. You can get an exemption in certain cases. Most people must have qualifying health coverage or pay a fee for the months they don’t have insurance. But if you qualify for a health coverage exemption you don’t have to pay the fee

Comment

Working...
      X