You can tell April 15th nears. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can tell April 15th nears. . .

. . .from some of the questions being posted here.

Granted, we all have had our personal "tax learning curves" and probably asked a few unnecessary questions along the way.

However. . .some of the questions being posted here in the last couple of days have me shaking my head. Are these posters REALLY getting paid by someone to provide "professional tax services" ??

Just my 2ยข worth.

FE

I know I've asked basic questions myself. The preparers that ask basic questions don't scare me that much - they know that they don't know and are doing research. The ones that guess at an answer and go with the guess are the ones that scare me. I suspect a lot of the returns I end up fixing are a result of that. I do think there should be some kind of preparer licensing. It's crazy to me that hair stylists are held to higher standards that tax preparers.

Comment

Who should be allowed to prepare Tax Returns for the Public, for a fee?

We agree on something

Go to any States Consumer Affairs Department and look at "ALL" of the Services-Provide-For-a-Fee!
      and see the Long List that require the provider TO BE LICENSED!, to "Protect-the-Public"
      Even to Cut someone's hair, for a fee!

YET, who is allowed to Prepare a Very Serious and Financial Threatening Document for the Public, for a fee, ANYONE!!!!!

The IRS tried to somewhat protect the Public years ago, the Courts said NO!
      Congress has done NOTHING, why? Because all they can do is have Investigations!

Professionals that Provide this Service are; EA's, CPA's and Atty's
      EA Exam = demonstrated knowledge in Tax, not Accounting.
      CPA Exam = demonstrated knowledge in Accounting, not Tax.
      BAR Exam = demonstrated knowledge in Law, not Accounting or Tax,

If all of those other services for the public require a license (exam) to protect the public then why NOT Tax Preparation (and Planning)?
      and at a Minimum everyone Licensed to Prepare Tax returns have to passed the EA Exam, not a watered down one suggested by the IRS.
      As a CPA for 40 years I would have to say Everyone have to passed the "EA Exam", including CPA's and Atty's IF they want to provide Tax services.
      Yes, long ago I did pass the EA Exam, just to prove I could!

I guess its left up to the public to protect themselves, sad. When "there-Should-Be-a-Law" there is none.

ps this year we have to wait for this year's season to end until the 18th.

Comment

Not necessarily replying to anyone that posted on this thread, but I have noticed that the forum seems to have taken a different tone this season. Seems to me that there are some posters using the forum to puff up their own ego by belittling others.

Comment

Nothing to do with ego OR master's et in Taxation

It merely stated that at a minimum (to protect the public) ("They protect you HAIR")

Everyone preparing a tax return for the public should have to demonstrate to the IRS
          that they have the knowledge to do so.

I stated EA's do, but NO one else does, WHY

CPA, Atty, Master's in Taxation, does not demonstrate the knowledge to the IRS
          Your few who meet those high knowledge standards would surely PASS the Exam

But for all the other CPA's and Atty's would they be able to.

It was demeaning no one, it was holding ALL to the standard of taking the EA Exam, CPA's, Atty's
          and anyone else who wants to be paid by an unknowing public to prepare their tax return

The IRS thought it was a good, first step, but a ?Judge? said no

It was to follow later that even CPA's & Atty's would have to take the exam

Comment

I don't know where you are getting the information that taxation is not part of the CPA exam. It was when I took it and it still is.

Comment

I know a few EA's, CPA's and Attorneys I wouldn't trust doing a 1040ez. A credential does not make one competent, IMHO. Lord knows I'm not perfect & I dont pretend to be.

Comment

IT IS? enough to prepare a tax return
                On my exam I have the EWS

Audit, Practice, Accounting Theory & Law?
                and you work experience, Nothing in Tax get on the Form E
                IF you know what a "Form E" is, I have signed them
                I have had the State Board of Accountancy AUDIT
                "MY" Audit "Workpapers" to insure the
                1) applicant DID enough AUDIT Work
                2) That MY Workpapers FULLY SUPPORTED MY ACCOUNTANT'S "AUDIT" Opinion

Comment

There is NOTHING that states CPA's and ATTY's know anything about Taxation.
                  Where are you getting this?
                  The CPA Exam, and work experience is about AUDIT
                  The Bar Exam is about Law
                  Neither is about taxation

NO and exam does NOT mean someone CAN prepare
                  But have YOU taken the EA Exam, it does demonstrate you something about taxation

And NOW for all of those who have NO Credentials just what do they KNOW

I did not demean anyone here!

In fact in stating "anyone" preparing tax returns for the public, for a fee
                  should have to take the IRS Exam that is used TO evaluate it, currently only on a voluntary basis
                  I INCLUDED "MYSELF a 40Yr CPA "IN" that requirement

Comment

Yes, the EA without sufficient Accounting Knowledge should NOT be preparing Business Returns
                    As to Atty's I don't think many do normal returns, more 1041 & 706

NO Credentials do not guarantee the ability, nor the client commandment
                    BUT it does eliminate ALL of those that ABSOLUTLELY CAN'T

Saw a post here, awhile back
                    I know where to out the prior year state refund to be taxed this year!! {{{{{ Maybe! if benefit received in prior year}}}}}}
                    BUT where do I input the prior year Federal refund to be taxed this year

Answer, Line 21, but not subject to SE tax

Comment

I agree that paid preparers should be required to take an IRS administered test and continuing education. It's up to congress and their neglect means they don't care. Maybe they are concerned with higher fees for the low income folks. Someone with one W-2 does not need a credentialed preparer.

Comment

Originally posted by DonB View Post
                        I agree that paid preparers should be required to take an IRS administered test and continuing education. It's up to congress and their neglect means they don't care. Maybe they are concerned with higher fees for the low income folks. Someone with one W-2 does not need a credentialed preparer.
                        Thats what the AFTP classes and AFSP completion certificate are for. But then again like EA's, CPA's and... cough... Attorneys, that doesnt mean squat. So everyone can complain and grovel, but it a degree or cert. doesn't mean ****, until you have done your time at the job.

Comment

you must have none

An passing an EA Exam is Not a credential, its demonstrating what you claim to be your technical tax abilities, without Proving it

As to "done your time working it" there are all difference, high and low places to acquire you learning
                          "Blind teaching the Blind"

Mine started with 3 years in a Big-8 Tax department.

You seem to have an inferiority complex about acknowledgments of hard work and Proven ability (aka Certifications)

Every time you pump & pound Your chest the Credentials are not worth chit you insult everyone who HAS "EARNED" Them

IF you had to take the EA Exam to be allowed to prepare tax returns, for a fee
                          YOU would be UNEMPLOYED

As to this Post (the original top post) it had nothing to do with Credentials
                          Merely that is the public is protected even getting their hair cur
                          ANYONE who desires to prepare tax returns for the public, FOR A FEE
                          MUST TAKE THE EA EXAM, not that watered down AFTP [lol]

The only palace certifications can into it was to say that even CPA's & Atty must take the EA Exam,
                          currently they are exempt, even if that know zero about taxation

Many, Many of your posts denigrate those who have worked far and received Recognition

This post can be closed or deleted at any time

It started out a serious post about Who Should be Allowed to prepare tax returns, for a fee

And have been degraded down to "credentials" aren't worth **** or chit or this (Snowflakes) use **** but not the word, it that makes any difference! lol
                          The swamp dwellers with only insults to toss and no viable input
                          Last edited by claud46; 04-01-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Love ya too !!!
                            Last edited by Twin Turbo Z; 04-02-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X