SSI payments for child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSI payments for child

This is a new one for me. Client has disabled 18 year old. In 2017, child SSI will be increased 300/month if he pays this amount to parents as "rent". Is this amount actually counted as rent income to parents, or do they only need to take the amount into account to determine if they pay over 1/2 support?

SSA form for SSI benefits

Kathy, I am sorry to jump in here but I realized that I do not know if SSI recipients are getting a SSA statement, do they?

Comment

SSI recipients receive the same 1099-SA as regular social security recipients. The child is no longer a minor, and I would say that the $300 per month required to be paid as rent does have to be reported on the parents' tax return. Whether they could claim him would depend on the support issue after that is taken into consideration. From what I could discern SSA does not offer rent assistance, so have they received some kind of letter documenting this?
      Last edited by Burke; 03-29-2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        SSI recipients receive the same 1099-SA as regular social security recipients. The child is no longer a minor, and I would say that the $300 per month required to be paid as rent does have to be reported on the parents' tax return. Whether they could claim him would depend on the support issue after that is taken into consideration. From what I could discern SSA does not offer rent assistance, so have they received some kind of letter documenting this?
        I had not realized that either. Parents said that if he pays them $300/mo rent his benefits will increase by that amount.

"You also can get up to the maximum if you live in someone else's household as long as you pay your food and shelter costs. If you live in someone else's household and don't pay your food and shelter costs or pay only part of your food and shelter costs, your SSI benefit may be reduced by up to one–third of the SSI Federal benefit rate." https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/s...rangements.htm

It doesn't apply to their 2016 return. I just posted if someone had already ran across this, and had a ready answer if they should file an E and let them know to track expenses. If no one knows off the top of their head, I'll research it AFTER tax season!

Comment

SSI & Support Test

Here is a new thread on this issue since now I am confused.

SSI payments are not considered support provided by the child, whereas SS payment are. If Form SSA is provided in both cases, how do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post

SSI payments are not considered support provided by the child, whereas SS payment are. If Form SSA is provided in both cases, how do you know?
            SSI does not generate a 1099SSA. Only income from Social Security does.

Chris

Comment

Yes, SSI is totally different from Social Security so no 1099SSA for it

Comment

SSI reported same as Soc Sec benefits ? ?

Originally posted by Gretel View Post

Perhaps I've lived a sheltered life, but I have never seen SSI benefits reported on a Form SSA-1099.

FE

Comment

You all are correct, and I was wrong on this point. I was thinking of regular SSA benefits paid to a minor.

Comment

Working...
                  X