Superseding vs. amended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superseding vs. amended

I consider myself relatively inexperienced. I learned of the superseding option, vs. amended just about a week ago. Have been reading much about it here and elsewhere to educate self.

From what I gather, IRS actually prefers superseding vs. amended prior to filing date for same year. But, as in most things, in practice accepts either at anytime.

Can anyone comment on if they have ....ever....had a problem or rejection of a superseded return. Again, I'm only looking for education on superseding returns.
    Treasur2

You will hear people say very authoritatively that prior to the tax return deadline you should not use 1040-X. Often referenced to "phone calls" and "conversations with IRS employees" and other things that are impossible to validate.

You'll find more information on superseding returns in the IRM 21.6.7.4.10. https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_2...r.html#d0e4390

Note #1-1. "An amended (Form 1040X) or corrected (duplicate) return filed on or before the due date or the extended due date is a superseding return."

My take: Keep doing whatever you're happy with. I file a 1040-X.

Comment

Corporate returns

Originally posted by Treasur2 View Post
      I consider myself relatively inexperienced. I learned of the superseding option, vs. amended just about a week ago. Have been reading much about it here and elsewhere to educate self.

From what I gather, IRS actually prefers superseding vs. amended prior to filing date for same year. But, as in most things, in practice accepts either at anytime.

Can anyone comment on if they have ....ever....had a problem or rejection of a superseded return. Again, I'm only looking for education on superseding returns.
      Superseding returns are use for Corporate tax return-haven see it use for personal return 1040

The MeF system processes both superseding and amended returns for Forms 1120, 1120-S and 1120-F. If the taxpayer is required to e-file an original return and needs to file an amended or superseding return, they must e-file that return. Any taxpayer who has received an approved waiver from IRS to file their particular return on paper is exempted from this requirement.

Comment

I am one of "those people" who was told by the IRS to correct the return and write "Superseding Return" across the top of pg 1 of the 1040. It replaces the original filed return without having to do a 1040X. I've done it a few times since the conversation and have not had a one rejected, returned, or questioned.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X