Form 8965 Part !!, Coverage Exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 8965 Part !!, Coverage Exemption

I have a client that did not have any health insurance (her choice) and was under the filing threshold (single, no children). Nobody could claim her. Basically, she was homeless most of the year and slept here and there all year. She wants to file in order to get her federal withholding money refunded to her. According to the IRS instructions she is exempt from any penalty. I am looking for the Form 8965 part II to complete her exemption. I can only find Part I and Part III. Any help would be appreciated.

A portion of the IRS Instructions:

"If you are not required to file a federal income tax return for a year because your gross income is below your return filing threshold, you are automatically exempt from the shared responsibility provision for that year and do not need to take any further action to secure an exemption. Therefore, you do not need to file a return solely to report your coverage or to claim a coverage exemption. If your income is below the filing threshold for your filing status and you choose to file a tax return, use Part II of Form 8965, Coverage Exemptions for Your Household Claimed on Your Return, to claim a coverage exemption. You should not make a shared responsibility payment if you are exempt from the coverage requirement because you have income below the filing threshold."

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
    looking for the Form 8965 part II
    aka line 7- wedged in between Part I & Part III - your software might even check the box for you.

Comment

Thanks BP

Thanks so much!! You're right. It is between the 2 lines and is automatically checked off. I could not see that form until I tried printing the return to see if it would show up. Another return done!! Thanks again BP.

Comment

Working...
      X