Rental Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental Income

Client is an elderly lady with dementia. Her son rented her home last year Sept-Dec while she was living with him. She was issued a 1099M showing $4000 in box 1 (Rents). If she doesn't reach the filing threshold of $11,900, with the rest of her income added in, does she have to report this rental income?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tanya

Originally posted by tsuewalker View Post
    Client is an elderly lady with dementia. Her son rented her home last year Sept-Dec while she was living with him. She was issued a 1099M showing $4000 in box 1 (Rents). If she doesn't reach the filing threshold of $11,900, with the rest of her income added in, does she have to report this rental income?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tanya
    If she were my client, I would recommend filing a return though no taxes may be due only to prevent a future IRS notice because of the 1099 Misc issued to her.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      If she were my client, I would recommend filing a return though no taxes may be due only to prevent a future IRS notice because of the 1099 Misc issued to her.
      Also make sure she doesnt have a state liability.

Chris

Comment

Why was a 1099 issued? Was he renting the house for business purposes?
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
          Why was a 1099 issued? Was he renting the house for business purposes?
          In MA if a landlord rents to low income taxpayers receiving a rent subsidy, the agency issues a 1099-Misc to the landlord in the amount of the subsidy. I am assuming other states do the same as well.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
          X