Roth and 403b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth and 403b

I have a client who has contributed the max of $24000 to his 403b. He wants to also contribute to a Roth IRA. Can he do so?

Maybe. It depends on his AGI. Since he contributed $24k to his 403(b), I would speculate that he has too much income to be Roth IRA eligible. If so, he can always contribute to a traditional IRA, although his contribution will be non-deductible.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Roth

If income is too high for Roth contribution, the taxpayer could make traditional IRA contribution then convert
      to a Roth, would be nontaxable on conversion because converting nondeductible IRA contribution. I
      think it is called " backdoor Roth contribution"

Comment

Unless he has any other Traditional IRAs, in which case he'll have a ratio to calculate.

Comment

Originally posted by DixieEA
          If income is too high for Roth contribution, the taxpayer could make traditional IRA contribution then convert to a Roth, would be nontaxable on conversion because converting nondeductible IRA contribution. I
          think it is called " backdoor Roth contribution"
          That is very dangerous and risky advice to give someone if you don't know what other IRAs the T/P may have.
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
          X