Grandparents claiming granchild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandparents claiming granchild

Newborn grandchild - March 2016, lived with grandparents until August 2016. Grandparents have all the rights to claim child, based on review of rules to do so. In this specific case, I want to know if the grandchild can also be claimed with the Child Tax Credit deduction, since the child would only have been in the house for 5 months? Kind of gray area for Child Tax Credit since not greater than 6 months. Can anyone elaborate and clarify. I have looked at this forum and other areas with no luck. But you would think that because the child lived in house for 5 months (being born in filing year) that it would be sensible to consider greater six months as a ruling factor, but then again not sure. If we are talking inclusive months, then only 5. A little confusing. Just need clarification, please.

Thanks.

what happened in august? where did child go?

Comment

Originally posted by rkhan71 View Post
      Newborn grandchild - March 2016, lived with grandparents until August 2016. Grandparents have all the rights to claim child, based on review of rules to do so. In this specific case, I want to know if the grandchild can also be claimed with the Child Tax Credit deduction, since the child would only have been in the house for 5 months? Kind of gray area for Child Tax Credit since not greater than 6 months. Can anyone elaborate and clarify. I have looked at this forum and other areas with no luck. But you would think that because the child lived in house for 5 months (being born in filing year) that it would be sensible to consider greater six months as a ruling factor, but then again not sure. If we are talking inclusive months, then only 5. A little confusing. Just need clarification, please.

Thanks.
      Are they also claiming their daughter?

Chris

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for responding; I was able to answer my own question. Appreciate it as always!

RFK

Comment

What was your answer...enlighten the rest of us, please
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X