non-cash contribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-cash contribution

A client comes in with a receipt from a charitable organization's logo: receipt# 1021; 40 lbs clothes and toys, value 1000. Are you comfortable deduct it? Most organization don't give value for non-cash donation.

Originally posted by liberty View Post
    A client comes in with a receipt from a charitable organization's logo: receipt# 1021; 40 lbs clothes and toys, value 1000. Are you comfortable deduct it? Most organization don't give value for non-cash donation.
    NO!

I have one client that basically gets all the junk from family, friends, neighbors and street sidewalks after garage sales and donates to Salvation Army, Big Brothers, Hartspring etc.

I have her count exactly how many pieces of what and fill out a spreadsheet with Salvation Army price list. The first year I asked her to do, she initially refused and I told her to go somewhere else or pay my assistant $20/hr to do her work! She chose to do it herself.

There is NO WAY I am going to accept a dollar amount over $500/bag for X bags of clothes.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

If the client was the one put value on the receipt, then I won't accept it without detailed valuation. But if the organization put the value on the receipt, wouldn't that shift the responsibility to the organization to prove it.

Comment

Donees don't determine the FMV of donated property. That's the donor's responsibility ... or, in some cases, an appraiser's.

$1,000 seems awfully high for 40 pounds of used clothes and toys. If this were my client, I would insist on an item-by-item list of the donated property together with a FMV for each item.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
            Donees don't determine the FMV of donated property. That's the donor's responsibility ... or, in some cases, an appraiser's.

$1,000 seems awfully high for 40 pounds of used clothes and toys. If this were my client, I would insist on an item-by-item list of the donated property together with a FMV for each item.
            Yep, I agree with that too!

Comment

Working...
            X