Depreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation

For the 6,000 lbs loaded gross vehicle weight, can I go by the DMV registration card? This one says 7354 under weight, so I assume not subject to 280F limits, right?

I really don't understand the loaded and unloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
      For the 6,000 lbs loaded gross vehicle weight, can I go by the DMV registration card? This one says 7354 under weight, so I assume not subject to 280F limits, right?
      That sounds like it might be the GVWR, but to make sure you can have client look at sticker in driver door jam which will have the GVWR.

Comment

If it is over 6,000 lbs unloaded, would definitely be over that loaded right? I really don't understand the "loaded" and "unloaded" except for this common sense. We all know the IRS does NOT use common sense! So just checking!

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
          If it is over 6,000 lbs unloaded, would definitely be over that loaded right? I really don't understand the "loaded" and "unloaded" except for this common sense. We all know the IRS does NOT use common sense! So just checking!
          According to IRS regulations, a truck or van is not a passenger auto when it has a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW—the manufacturer’s maximum weight rating when loaded) above 6,000 pounds.

Vehicles with an unloaded GVW over 6,000 pounds are not passenger automobiles (not subject to the passenger auto depreciation limits) regardless of their classification. Vehicles with an unloaded GVW of 6,000 pounds or less, but a loaded GVW over 6,000 pounds are not classified as passenger autos if they are classified as a truck or van by their manufacturer.

Thomson Reuters has a good article explaining the depreciation limits:

Comment

Thanks for all of the help!! I had the client check the sicker in the door jam and it says 10,000 lbs, so surely no 280F limits!!

Comment

Working...
            X