Suspended Passive Losses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspended Passive Losses

Where in the Federal 1040 do I put the Suspended Passive Losses after the sale of a rental property? Line 17?

Flow to Schedule E

Schedule E. Are you doing this without computer software?

Comment

Why are there two posts for the same topic?

Comment

Suspended Passive Losses

Yes because I am amending a return and cannot override certain lines on the 8582. Thanks for your answer.

Comment

Entering passive loss carryover amounts

Originally posted by S&D Associates View Post
          Yes because I am amending a return and cannot override certain lines on the 8582. Thanks for your answer.
          Are you asking a tax question or a tax software question??

Generally speaking, you should avoid overriding any calculated value. Instead, go find where that value came from. In the case of prior year passive losses, there is normally something like a worksheet where you ENTER the prior year numbers, and the 8582 then gets calculated without overrides. If a "new" return, there is usually an entry line where the software prompts you to "enter the unused passive loss carryover" from prior years.

Just avoid overrides, especially of calculated amounts, and try a right mouse click every now and then. . .

FE

Comment

In my software, the suspended losses for prior years are at the bottom of Sche E input screen. Even if there are no entries on Sche E for this year, the PAL's could still be input and should flow through to 8582.

Comment

Working...
            X