Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Email Scam today

I found this in my Spam email box today:

"Please attached is my 1040 for my Refund.
    Please check to help me do the filling.

Thanks
    Mary Mickky"

the attachment was "My1040.exe"

Of course I deleted it without clicking anywhere. I was going to copy and paste the words in the email into this Post for you all to see, but I was afraid to even do that. So I wrote it down word for word and that is when I discovered the spelling error of fiLLing instead of fiLing. Maybe Mary is a dentist? HaHa.

I don't have others in my office but those of you who do will probably want to warn everyone not to fall for it. I know when we get busy and in a hurry, we sometimes don't see the warning signs of things like this. And that .exe extension means it is a program, right?

Yes, that .exe file was an executable program. You were wise to NOT touch it. I'm sure ... well, I certainly HOPE ... that nobody else would be foolish enough to click on it either.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

My Norton 360 Anti Virus will flag any e-mail with an attachment that has an exe file or macro etc.

Lately I have been getting scam e-mails confirming a payment made to my PayPal account and to open the e-mail to see the amount etc in a link. Norton correctly identified it as a suspicious email.

Another scam going around claims that FedEx made an attempt to make an urgent delivery but could not for any reason and you need to click on the link to find out next steps!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

the phishers and scammers are going after our banks, credit cards, UPS and FedEX, IRS PTIN and now asking that we update our EServices password. IRS has asked that we forward all IRS related emails to phishing@irs.gov
        IRS will send a reply email saying they got the forwarded email. You don't have to do anything but forward the email and then delete it. I have be getting at least one a day from different return email addresses.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          the phishers and scammers are going after our banks, credit cards, UPS and FedEX, IRS PTIN and now asking that we update our EServices password. IRS has asked that we forward all IRS related emails to phishing@irs.gov
          IRS will send a reply email saying they got the forwarded email. You don't have to do anything but forward the email and then delete it. I have be getting at least one a day from different return email addresses.
          I'm thinking that when we forward phishing and scam emails to IRS, they take a look at it, say "Yep, it's a scam", and then they delete it. I doubt they actually take any action on these emails. I just delete it up front and avoid being be middle man in a useless exercise.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I agree. IRS can't be following up on all the forwarded e-mails. I think they may have some algorithm that scans the e-mail address and if there is a trend they can detect they may follow up. The best advice is to immediately delete the e-mail without opening it or clicking on any links or attachments.

While I was trying this I got a call from the Windows Technical Dept, the fellow with a typical Indian accent said. Immediate Hangup!

These guys scare people to let them remotely access their computer for a free virus cleanup and they immediately install ransomware!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

If I have time, I like to string those guys along. I'll tell them I have several computers and I need to know which one they're talking about. After a few back & forth rounds of dumb questions from me & dumber answers from them, I'll finally say I'm very confused and I still don't understand if they're referring to my iPad, iPhone, Mac Desktop, or MacBook. They generally get mad at that point because they know they've been had. But every now and again, before they hang up in disgust, I do get the chance to say "At least while I kept you tied up long enough to prevent you from scamming one other person." I've actually has a few of them swear at me with very funny broken-English profanity.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I'm really envious of all you folks who regularly get scam e-mails and phone calls. I never get to have any fun, like the kind JohnH described above. Well, I did once. About 12 or 14 years ago I received an e-mail telling me an unnamed relative had died naming me as beneficiary and leaving me millions. You can imagine the thrill I felt at reading THAT news! Visions of sugarplums and many other luxury items consumed my thoughts for days afterwards. A big new house, a fancy car, an airplane, jewelry, maybe even a boat. Why, I might have even had enough left over to pay off my MasterCard bill. All I had to do to get the money was send $115,000 to pay the duty or tax or something ... I forget what ... and the booty would be released and sent to me. This wasn't the well-known "Nigeria" scam, but one like it. I forget the country ... if it was even mentioned.

Anyway, I replied saying, "Just deduct the $115,000 from my inheritance and send me the rest."

I'm teddibly disappointed to report that I'm still waiting.
                Roland Slugg
                "I do what I can."

Comment

Simple solution

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                  I agree. IRS can't be following up on all the forwarded e-mails. I think they may have some algorithm that scans the e-mail address and if there is a trend they can detect they may follow up. The best advice is to immediately delete the e-mail without opening it or clicking on any links or attachments.

While I was trying this I got a call from the Windows Technical Dept, the fellow with a typical Indian accent said. Immediate Hangup!

These guys scare people to let them remotely access their computer for a free virus cleanup and they immediately install ransomware!
                  Hopefully the "no links police" will not have a hissy fit:

I've had www.nomorobo.com in place for several years. Works like a charm for automatically blocking the robo calls. A "one-ringer" tells me another one has just been trapped.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    If I have time, I like to string those guys along. I'll tell them I have several computers and I need to know which one they're talking about. After a few back & forth rounds of dumb questions from me & dumber answers from them, I'll finally say I'm very confused and I still don't understand if they're referring to my iPad, iPhone, Mac Desktop, or MacBook. They generally get mad at that point because they know they've been had. But every now and again, before they hang up in disgust, I do get the chance to say "At least while I kept you tied up long enough to prevent you from scamming one other person." I've actually has a few of them swear at me with very funny broken-English profanity.
                    JohnH how do you manage to get so much free time during busy tax season? I envy you.

But I agree it must give you a chuckle when the scammer is had and they hang up on you!

Comment

Payback to robos

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                      JohnH how do you manage to get so much free time during busy tax season? I envy you.

But I agree it must give you a chuckle when the scammer is had and they hang up on you!
                      Less time consuming, but equally as "pay-back effective," is to tell the caller my wife/husband/son/daughter handles all of those matters. "Hold on while I go tell them to pick up the phone. . ."

I've also heard air horns or a whistle can send a message. . .

FE

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post

Thanks for your reply. IRS really wants to see these? I wonder if they are doing anything with them.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I have gotten a lot of scam emails and calls, but this is a new one, don't think I would click on it, but good to know not to!!!

Comment

not for my landline

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                            Hopefully the "no links police" will not have a hissy fit:

I've had www.nomorobo.com in place for several years. Works like a charm for automatically blocking the robo calls. A "one-ringer" tells me another one has just been trapped.

FE
                            I can't get this for my landline. Wish I could!! I'm on "do not call list" but still get my share of solicitors and robots. My answering machine is my trapper but still annoying just hearing the phone ring and then sometimes the machine tapes the whole message or if there is a hang up my machine tapes the hummmmmmm of the hangup until I pick up the phone and click off.

Comment

I think much of this "send us your spam emails" is similar to the "security theater" at the airports (also known as TSA). There is some marginal benefit, but most of it is a useless waste of time. But it gives people a warm fuzzy feeling of security some somebody claims to be looking out for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X