NC amended return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC amended return

I have to amend a NC tax return because the 400TC was wrong.

When I amend the return, there isn't an "AMENDED RETURN" generated; only the new, correct tax return. It does generate a form similar to the 1040X pg 2 asking for the reason. I don't see any place where the changes are spelled out... before... after... figures.

I know VA returns do not show that, either, so I'm wondering if I am ok sending this in like it is, or if I'm missing something.

I screwed up the initial return and I can't screw this amendment up, too.

Help!
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Preparation of amended NC D-400

The NC Form D-400 has several places to indicate an amended return. There is a box to check on the upper right corner, and entries on lines 22 and 24 may be relevant.

Your tax software should also have NC Form D-400 Schedule AM where you list the reasons for and explanations of the change. It is filed along with the D-400 (and any other required forms).

Otherwise, the amended return will resemble a "normal" Form D-400.

Doesn't your tax software have a Q&A sequence to take you through the process? ?

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Doesn't your tax software have a Q&A sequence to take you through the process? ?

FE
      I do have the D-400 Schedule AM.
      TW does not have a Q&A.
      Thanks for your response. I will send it in as it is, the D-400 with the schedule AM attached.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        I know VA returns do not show that, either, so I'm wondering if I am ok sending this in like it is, or if I'm missing something.
        On a VA amended return, note that a copy of the 1040X is required to be mailed in with it. So they see the reason for amending. If no federal amendment is required, and it is just a state issue, I always attach a letter or statement explaining the adjustment.

Comment

Great information

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          On a VA amended return, note that a copy of the 1040X is required to be mailed in with it. So they see the reason for amending. If no federal amendment is required, and it is just a state issue, I always attach a letter or statement explaining the adjustment.
          Thanks for that input. I'll do it.

Comment

Dealing with 1040X copy

Originally posted by Possi View Post
            Thanks for that input. I'll do it.
            I think an amended NC return can be efiled (I know an amended VA can). If that's the case, handle the Form 1040X as a PDF attachment to the efiled Form NC D-400 and simplify things for yourself.

FE

Comment

Working...
            X