Unemployment Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment Compensation

Am working on the 2004 income tax return for client.
    Facts: Client received $3400. in unemployment benefits in 2003. This was reported
    as income on the 2003 tax return.
    Problem: Question? In early 2004 client received a letter from the State Unemployment Commission that client was not entitled to the unemp; compensation and that she
    needed to start paying it back. The commission let her pay it back in monthly payments.
    How do I treat this payback? Amend the 2003 tax return omitting the unempl. comp.
    or somehow deducting it on the 2004 return?
    Have not had this before.
    Thanks.

Bird Legs, look in the TB pg. 3-19. No amended return. Since pay back is in a later year and the total payments are over $3,000 it either goes on Sch.A or you can claim a credit after figuring the difference between what T/P would have paid in taxes if he had not received unemployment as opposed to what he actually paid.

Comment

Gabriele

You are great. Thanks. Hope it is not too hot where you are.
      It is hot, humid and no rain here. Almost a drought.

Comment

Glad I could help. It's very hot and dry up here, not humid though, which makes all the difference. We have a drought since 9 years, last two years a little better, but this year is the worst. I am aching for rain. Never thought this would be possible growing up in a place were most of the year is rainy or at least overcast.

Comment

Working...
        X