medical deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medical deduction

An elderly client told me her doctor prescribed massage therapy, she did 48 visits last year. Are you comfortable taking that deduction?

Therapy is an allowed medical deduction. See Pub 502, page 14.

Comment

Absolutely. I believe it would be preferable if the massages were performed by a licensed provider, if there even is a licensing requirement, and a written letter or other document from the woman's doctor would also be a good idea. Massage therapy is often recommended for persistent sciatica.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Consider also

Does Medicare / private insurance cover any of the costs ? ?

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          Does Medicare / private insurance cover any of the costs ? ?

FE
          Medicare does not, just have a client who found out about this and then thought it also could not be deducted. To be clear: Are you saying that even if there is no prescription you would be comfortable to deduct massage if medical is the reason?

Comment

pub 502, page 14

Somehow I always thought massage therapy is different from physical therapy. I am 100% certain physical therapy is deductible, but massage therapy seems a little gray. My client is 76, seems has ache and pain all the time.

Comment

Note OP stated it was prescribed by a doctor, but the standard is usually if prescribed for a specific condition. If someone just decides to go for it for general health reasons, or because they like it, I would not take it as a medical deduction. Sort of like vitamins.

Comment

Probable deduction

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
                Medicare does not, just have a client who found out about this and then thought it also could not be deducted. To be clear: Are you saying that even if there is no prescription you would be comfortable to deduct massage if medical is the reason?
                Not sure how much weight / relevance a "prescription" might carry.

The key factor is whether the massage therapy can be interpreted as a medical treatment. If so, it is likely a qualifying Schedule A deduction.

FE

Comment

This is a quote from the IRS TAX MAP under "medical therapy"
                  "You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for therapy received as medical treatment." I would make sure to keep the doctor's diagnosis report, written prescription and/or letter of recommendation of the therapy in your client file.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X