Lottery Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lottery Winner

In Jan 2016, a client won $10,000 in the New York Lottery. He presented me with a bag of losing lottery tickets purchased in 2016 and a signed statement that these losing tickets add up to an amount that exceed $10,000. Is this adequate to meet the Sch A write off or are there other restrictions. Thanks!

Sounds like it may be since you are reviewing the supporting info BUT reference The Taxbook Tabs 3-18 & 4-25 for additional info that you need to make your final decision.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by David7548 View Post
      In Jan 2016, a client won $10,000 in the New York Lottery. He presented me with a bag of losing lottery tickets purchased in 2016 and a signed statement that these losing tickets add up to an amount that exceed $10,000. Is this adequate to meet the Sch A write off or are there other restrictions. Thanks!
      Did he present a bag of the occasional winnings on lottery tickets? I gather he won a $10,000 prize on a single W-2G. You would have a hard time convincing me that he won nothing else during the course of the year on all those lottery tickets. Thus, lottery winnings probably exceed the $10K.

Comment

Are there any shoe prints or garbage stains on any of the losing tickets?
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
          Did he present a bag of the occasional winnings on lottery tickets? I gather he won a $10,000 prize on a single W-2G. You would have a hard time convincing me that he won nothing else during the course of the year on all those lottery tickets. Thus, lottery winnings probably exceed the $10K.
          Excellent point... my thoughts exactly, which my client does not support... Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X