Another rental expense question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another rental expense question

Can you tell I'm really trying to help this lady? She is elderly, has no federal income tax and I'm trying to wipe out the little state tax she has so she won't have to pay. She got a concealed carry permit and a gun solely because she is often paid rents in cash to carry in her car. She only keeps the gun in her car and for that reason. Obviously, she would use it for any kind of protection while in her car, but carrying the money is what made her concerned. Can I deduct that as a rental expense?

Possibly a security expense?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
      Can you tell I'm really trying to help this lady? She is elderly, has no federal income tax and I'm trying to wipe out the little state tax she has so she won't have to pay. She got a concealed carry permit and a gun solely because she is often paid rents in cash to carry in her car. She only keeps the gun in her car and for that reason. Obviously, she would use it for any kind of protection while in her car, but carrying the money is what made her concerned. Can I deduct that as a rental expense?
      Ordinary and Necessary? I would go with no.

You have deducted the mileage correct?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
        Ordinary and Necessary? I would go with no.

You have deducted the mileage correct?

Chris
        Yeah I did get the mileage. Thanks!!

Comment

Take It

In 2016 the gun was not used either personally or for business. So I would take it since she only bought it for protecting her rents. However, had she used it once for personal purposes like someone was trying to steal something when she was not carrying rents and there was no usage when carrying rents then I would not take it because the percentage was 100% personal.

Comment

I would liken this to a uniform expense. If it can be worn in public or is worn when not working then it is not deductible. This is a personal safety item that she opted to purchase. It is not ordinary and necessary to the business and is very amenable to personal use.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I totally agree. Won't pass the smell test.

Comment

Thanks everyone!! Have a good day!!

Comment

Don't forget to deduct her sunglasses which she only uses to drive the car to collect the rent money.

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

But I must admit, you gave it the old college try . . .

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X