Tax Returns for Ex-Pats in England and Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Returns for Ex-Pats in England and Canada

I am exploring doing returns for ex-pats in England and Canada. I would appreciate any advice on this subject in particular what it's like to prepare the returns. Also, any comments about learning the tax law in both countries. I do primarily personal returns. Thank you. Carl

I've been a regular visitor to this forum for about ten years, and yours is the first post I've seen about ex-pats. (There may have been some that I missed.)

An expatriate may be subject to an "alternative" tax on his U.S. income, but other than that, I can't offer any help or advice. All I can suggest is that you become familiar with IRS F-8854 and especially the instructions for that form. They are lengthy (10 pages) and may be as good a place as any to educate yourself. You should also become familiar with Code ยง877 ... among others.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Take some classes. Network with other preparers, especially along our Canadian border and in major metropolitan cities such as NY that have multi-national businesses. Work for a season or more with a large CPA firm that has a division that prepares ex-pat tax returns. Read the appropriate sections in the tax code. Start with your current research subscription to lead you to the code sections. Read the corresponding tax treaties.

Comment

Originally posted by Forensicacctnt View Post
        I am exploring doing returns for ex-pats in England and Canada.
        You need to clarify what you mean by "ex-pats".

In the general definition of the word, most people often use "expatriate" to mean a US Citizen that has moved to another country.

In the tax definition of the word, it means a person that has renounced their US Citizenship.

The expatriation tax provisions apply to U.S. citizens who have renounced their citizenship and long-term residents who have ended their residency, if one of the principal purposes of the action is the avoidance of U.S. taxes.

Comment

Purchase this book

Best $25 you'll ever spend for doing 1040NR taxes.

Be sure you are ordering the 6th edition (just out) "6th Edition" is on the cover top left corner.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
            You need to clarify what you mean by "ex-pats".
            In the general definition of the word, most people often use "expatriate" to mean a US Citizen that has moved to another country.
            In the tax definition of the word, it means a person that has renounced their US Citizenship.
            https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...patriation-tax
            That has been my experience also; i.e, term is used to describe a US citizen living in another country. Whether preparer is doing the foreign return and/or the US 1040 for such persons, he/she must look to the tax treaty for that particular country as well. They are usually easy to locate online, some produced by the IRS and on their website.

Comment

Preparing tax returns for ex-pats (US citizens living in England or Canada)

Thank you for the replies and information you have provided. I did not know the tax definition of ex-pat; my plan is to work with US citizens living and working abroad in England and Canada. I will pursue the resources that have been suggested as I explore this subject further.
              Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Both of those countries have tax treaties with the US. You can Google both of them. I know the IRS puts out a Pub 597 for Canada as I use that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  Both of those countries have tax treaties with the US. You can Google both of them. I know the IRS puts out a Pub 597 for Canada as I use that one.
                  Thank you!
                  Carl

Comment

Working...
                  X