Excess S Corp Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excess S Corp Distributions

Accounting Question: What journal entry(ies) need to be made (if any) to account for Capitial Gaines reporting for Excess Distributions over current year profits?
    Last edited by BOB W; 08-09-2006, 09:38 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

profit v. basis

No S-corp separate entry. It is common to have S-corp distributions in excess of current profit. S-corp distributions in excess of shareholder "basis" that determines capital gain at the 1040 level is just that... at the 1040 level. Entry for any S-corp distribution is as a reduction of equity even if equity result is negative. Entry for the gain is usually recognized income.

Comment

Thanks....

......Jack for your quick come-back.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Where you're likely to see an effect is on the 1120S. If the distributions would take AAA below zero, which they cannot, there will be a difference between AAA and retained earnings.
        Last edited by rosieea; 08-09-2006, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieea
          Where you're likely to see an effect is on the 1120S. If the distributions would take AAA below zero, which they cannot, there will be a difference between AAA and retained earnings.
          IRS Instructions for form 1120S, page 35:

Note.The AAA may have a negative
          balance at year end. See section
          1368(e).

Originally posted by Sec. 1368. Distributions:
          (e) Definitions and special rules
          (C) Net loss for year disregarded
          (i) In general
          In applying this section to distributions made during any
          taxable year, the amount in the accumulated adjustments
          account as of the close of such taxable year shall be
          determined without regard to any net negative adjustment for
          such taxable year.
          (ii) Net negative adjustment
          For purposes of clause (i), the term "net negative
          adjustment" means, with respect to any taxable year, the
          excess (if any) of -
          (I) the reductions in the account for the taxable year
          (other than for distributions), over
          (II) the increases in such account for such taxable year.

Comment

Why do an AAA for an S?

If none of the reasons for one (used to be a C Corp/going to be a merger) why do one?
            The instructions say it is "recommended", not required. I always do them unless they are different from retained earnings.
            Then if they don't match - well that is too distressing so I just leave it blank.
            JG

Comment

Originally posted by OldJack
              IRS Instructions for form 1120S, page 35:

Note.The AAA may have a negative
              balance at year end. See section
              1368(e).
              Yes, AAA may have a negative balance, but not as a result of distributions. From the above cited instructions: "3. Decrease AAA (but not below zero) by property distributions..." Also see The Tax Book, page 19-9: "Unlike stock basis, the accumulated adjustments account can have a below-zero balance from losses (but not from distributions)..."

Comment

Originally posted by rosieea
                Yes, AAA may have a negative balance, but not as a result of distributions.
                I agree... its actually very simple when you think about it... you can't distribute something (AAA profit) that does not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA
                  If none of the reasons for one (used to be a C Corp/going to be a merger) why do one?
                  The instructions say it is "recommended", not required. I always do them unless they are different from retained earnings.
                  Then if they don't match - well that is too distressing so I just leave it blank.

Technically I believe every S-corp has a AAA account and certain transactions, such as tax-exempt income, are not allowed to be included in the AAA account. Therefore you could say a "AAA account" and a "Other Adjustments Account" are required even though the corporation has never been a C-corp with E&P (earnings & profits).

<< TAX TREATMENT OF SHAREHOLDERS

IRC Sec. 1367. Adjustments to basis of stock of shareholders, etc.
                  IRC Sec. 1368. Distributions

1368(e) Definitions and special rules
                  For purposes of this section -
                  (1) Accumulated adjustments account
                  (A) In general
                  Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, the term
                  "accumulated adjustments account" means an account of the S
                  corporation which is adjusted for the S period in a manner
                  similar to the adjustments under section 1367 (except that no
                  adjustment shall be made for income (and related expenses)
                  which is exempt from tax under this title and the phrase "(but
                  not below zero)" shall be disregarded in section 1367(a)(2))
                  and no adjustment shall be made for Federal taxes attributable
                  to any taxable year in which the corporation was a C
                  corporation.>>

Instructions for 1120S, page 35:

<< S corporations with
                  accumulated E&P must maintain the
                  AAA to determine the tax effect of
                  distributions during S years and the
                  post-termination transition period. An S
                  corporation without accumulated E&P
                  does not need to maintain the AAA in
                  order to determine the tax effect of
                  distributions. Nevertheless, if an S
                  corporation without accumulated E&P
                  engages in certain transactions to
                  which section 381(a) applies, such as a
                  merger into an S corporation with
                  accumulated E&P, the S corporation
                  must be able to calculate its AAA at the
                  time of the merger for purposes of
                  determining the tax effect of
                  post-merger distributions. Therefore, it
                  is recommended that the AAA be
                  maintained by all S corporations.>>

Instructions for 1120S, page 35:

<< Column (b). Other
                  Adjustments Account

The other adjustments account is
                  adjusted for tax-exempt income (and
                  related expenses) and federal taxes
                  attributable to a C corporation tax year.
                  After these adjustments are made, the
                  account is reduced for any distributions
                  made during the year. See Distributions
                  on page 36. >>

Comment

OK got it but.....

...... since I'm doing tax accounting how do I make a journal entry so the AAA is not effected by excess distributions? What accounts are effected? In other words what is the journal entry?

Comment

Most booking for corporations do not have a separate account for Retained Earnings and AAA Account. You always have a Retained Earnings account and the AAA is just a sub-account of the Retained Earnings Account. The AAA is usually only split out on the tax return, however, you could have the separate general ledger account. If you have separate ledger accounts you would debit the AAA account for distributions until it is zero and the excess debited to the Retained Earnings account which would could result in a negative equity or debit balance. Actually for the current year distributions I usually have a separate account or listing on the financial statement for distributions which I then close at year end to Retained Earnings or if you wish the AAA account.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W
                        ...... since I'm doing tax accounting how do I make a journal entry so the AAA is not effected by excess distributions? What accounts are effected? In other words what is the journal entry?
                        Establish an Equity account ("Distributions"). Debit distributions, credit cash. At year's end do closing entries: Credit Distributions, debit Retained Earnings.

Comment

Pti

I'm having a hard time digesting the Retained Earnings account entry, I need time to think it through and the effect. Years ago there was an account PTI ( Previously Taxed Income ) which was simular to AAA but had to be accounted for prior to the creation of AAA by the IRS. Maybe a separate account, sub account to retained earning, should be setup on the books to keep track of the excess distribution(s) that was taxed at CG rates. What do you all think?

Comment

I'm having a hard time digesting the Retained Earnings account entry, I need time to think it through and the effect. Years ago there was an account PTI ( Previously Taxed Income ) which was simular to AAA but had to be accounted for prior to the creation of AAA by the IRS. Maybe a separate account, sub account to retained earning, should be setup on the books to keep track of the excess distribution(s) that was taxed at CG rates. What do you all think?
                            Bob, I'm sure you agree that distributions, whether excess or not, reduce retained earnings. Hence the closing entries. I'm sure you could set up things like you suggest - instead of a retained earnings account, you could have a AAA account and an Excess Distributions account, the sum of which would equal Retained Earnings. I've never seen that done, and it would surely complicate matters - especially since the determination of whether or not the distributions are excess may not be determinable on a month to month basis.

Comment

I'm having a hard time digesting the Retained Earnings account entry, I need time to think it through and the effect. Years ago there was an account PTI ( Previously Taxed Income ) which was similar to AAA but had to be accounted for prior to the creation of AAA by the IRS. Maybe a separate account, sub account to retained earning, should be setup on the books to keep track of the excess distribution(s) that was taxed at CG rates. What do you all think?
                              There is no reason you could not have all the sub-accounts you wish. Retained Earnings is only an account of the profits and losses year to date of the corporation set-out from the other equity investment accounts. The corp can also allocate and have a separate "Appropriated Retained Earnings" account to reserved for a special purpose such as for constructing a building. Appropriated Retained Earnings is usually setup by a C-corp for purpose of documenting and avoiding the accumulated earnings tax.

A PTI account may still exist for some corporations and it is also a sub-account of Retained Earnings. The only real difference in the PTI account and the AAA account was that the tax law changed regarding how it was treated. The PTI account was allocated and belonged to a specific shareholder that earned the profit/loss for a specific year, whereas the AAA account belongs to any and all current shareholder based upon the number of shares.

Regarding the excess S-corp distributions subject to capital gains tax issue. The S-corp should not try to keep track of this as it is purely an individual shareholder 1040 issue. The corporation does not necessarily know if the shareholder is subject to the capital gains tax for excess distributions as the shareholder's basis (referred to as outside basis) is not necessarily the same as it would appear on the corporation books (inside basis) and 1120S-k1 entries. For the S-corp books, a property distribution is just that a distribution that must be reported as a distribution (AAA of profits, 1120S, pg3, line 16d), a distribution of E&P if prior C-corp earnings (1120S, pg 3, line 17c or 1120 taxable dividend 1099DIV, box 1), a liquidation distribution (1099DIV, box 8 or 9), or a distribution of return of capital (1099DIV, box 3).

The S-corp should simply account for the Retained Earnings account and the sub-account AAA for tax purposes (and any other sub-accounts if required).

Comment

Working...
                              X