Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say, J C

A theoretical question:

Three or four years ago, when gas was still a dollar and small change, a long-haul truck driver asked me this: "Can I use the standard mileage rate for my big truck"? Well, I'm sure that actual expenses would be more, but it was interesting because nobody had ever posed the question before. Assuming that he drove, say, a million miles or so, then it possibly could total up to more than actual. So, is there anything about it being restricted solely to passenger automobiles? Do you have an opinion?

P.S. I was cruising last week's posts on the...ahem..."other" board and was astounded -- astounded -- to discover that someone had declared that you "lack finesse." Imagine my surprise, shock, and dismay. Anyway, if you can answer the above, I promise to immediately pronounce you "finesseful" (if there is such a thing).

P.P.S. I promise also to intercede on your behalf with sea-tax and point out that he should read the text a tad more carefully, since you simply said "some" other brokers and not "all" other brokers; therefore not necessarily tarring him and all brokers with a broad brush. Hopefully that will result in a cease-fire without involving the U.N.

Say, B.B.

That's an easy one! The answer is NO.

Of course, that's my usual answer anyway, but at least this time I have a halfway supportable reason. You can't use standard mileage rate on vehicles for hire, which is what the long-haul is all about.

I wasn't zactly sure what "finesse" means, so I looked it up in Wikipedia and was enlightened as follows. "A finesse is said to be on or off depending on whether or not the finessable honor is favorably placed (onside) or not (offside). Many finesses involve a combination of non-touching honors in the same hand, called a tenace."

Comment

Re.

the question: Thank you.

the P.S.: Maybe you should drop Wicky and try Brittanica or something; I don't think that guy was talking about bridge. But, anyway, since a state of "finessefulness" probably doesn't exist, I herewith proclaim you to be the "soul of tact."

the P.P.S. I take it you feel that brokers have to take their chances with you just like every other mortal.

Best Regards, BB

Comment

her services

Okay, I took your advice and looked up "tact" in Brittanica Online. It's a fascinating tale of an Indian slave princess who helped Cortez conquer Mexico. Since I'm not a subscriber I can't read the whole article, but the main point is that, " The success of his ventures was often directly attributable to her services."

Comment

Working...
        X