IRs ignores Request for First time abatement request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRs ignores Request for First time abatement request

My client received a notice from the IRS (CP 14)assessing a penalty for late filing of tax return for 2015. I responded on behalf of my client requesting a first time abatement. Even though the IRS has received my request they have not replied to the request but continue to send notices with penalty and interest added to it. I tried numerous time to no avail contacting the IRS by telephone and followed up with another letter requesting the first time abatement again. My client received another letter with penalties and more interest added and still no response to my letter requesting a first time abatement. Any suggestions on what steps I can take next would be appreciated. Thank you.

First time abatement

I have always called on the phone with a POA or third party designation and had it done immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by MDEA View Post
      I have always called on the phone with a POA or third party designation and had it done immediately.
      Thank you for your response. I only used the mail route as it is almost impossible to get through to a live person even when I used the tax practitioner number.

Comment

One also needs to understand that the letters automatically generated by the IRS system are independent of the status of the process of the abatement. Logic says that these letters would be stopped immediately if an agent looks at the matter but that does not always happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          One also needs to understand that the letters automatically generated by the IRS system are independent of the status of the process of the abatement. Logic says that these letters would be stopped immediately if an agent looks at the matter but that does not always happen.
          Thank you Gretel. I will kee trying to reach an agent over the phone.

Comment

If that doesn't work send all documents, including attempts to contact, to TAS.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X