Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have hired preperation help? Did it work for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have hired preperation help? Did it work for you?

Every year or so I get the itch to grow my practice and hire preparers under me to help me prepare more returns and increase my income and maybe free up some time.

Then I look into the logistics of it and get discouraged. I have no idea how to keep them from taking my clients, keep them on board when I only need them seasonally (at the moment), how to make sure I have enough business for them the first year or two, and keep my clients happy about the changes.

I'd love to hear form many of you who have made the change what you did, and if it worked or not. I know one guy that hires helpers just for tax season to do his dropped off returns, but he has to deal with retention problems every two or three years. I heard a suggestion last time I asked about this I liked where you run it like a dentist office: You have the hygienists (employee) meet with them first and take care of the routine stuff, then put their file on your desk and the dentist will see you now" you finish off the return, do the top level review and stuff, and keep your connection to the client that way. I thought that sounded promising. Anyway, do any of you have experiences to share on this topic? Do you think it's worth taking a loan to grow in this manner, or doing it slowly by saving up first?

Originally posted by Bay ArEA View Post
    Every year or so I get the itch to grow my practice and hire preparers under me to help me prepare more returns and increase my income and maybe free up some time.

Then I look into the logistics of it and get discouraged. I have no idea how to keep them from taking my clients, keep them on board when I only need them seasonally (at the moment), how to make sure I have enough business for them the first year or two, and keep my clients happy about the changes.

I'd love to hear form many of you who have made the change what you did, and if it worked or not. I know one guy that hires helpers just for tax season to do his dropped off returns, but he has to deal with retention problems every two or three years. I heard a suggestion last time I asked about this I liked where you run it like a dentist office: You have the hygienists (employee) meet with them first and take care of the routine stuff, then put their file on your desk and the dentist will see you now" you finish off the return, do the top level review and stuff, and keep your connection to the client that way. I thought that sounded promising. Anyway, do any of you have experiences to share on this topic? Do you think it's worth taking a loan to grow in this manner, or doing it slowly by saving up first?
    When I was doing close to 700 returns I did them all myself. But I hired part time employee(s) to take care of other office tasks that made client contact to non-professionals. I learned my lesson a long time ago. I now keep my practice to a comfortable 400 and do it all myself. Fee structure allows the same gross income.
    Last edited by BOB W; 01-12-2017, 07:13 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Treat them well

Hire additional, seasonal help, train them and pay them well. Treat them as valuable assets. Have an agreement as to hours and days worked. They will come back year after year. Have them come in before the rush, late December, early January. Get them up to speed. Have documented procedures.

Comment

I would look for older, seasoned help that would be less likely to run off with clients. A buddy of mine has a CPA firm and they have had great success with stay-at-home moms who are looking to make money from home. Someone who is younger may look at it as an opportunity to cherry pick from your practice.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
          I would look for older, seasoned help that would be less likely to run off with clients. A buddy of mine has a CPA firm and they have had great success with stay-at-home moms who are looking to make money from home. Someone who is younger may look at it as an opportunity to cherry pick from your practice.
          I was thinking I'd have them come in, but if I just scan the docs in and they have two monitors or a wide one I guess it would not be necessary. I bet that freedom would attract more people, good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcdtax View Post
            Hire additional, seasonal help, train them and pay them well. Treat them as valuable assets. Have an agreement as to hours and days worked. They will come back year after year. Have them come in before the rush, late December, early January. Get them up to speed. Have documented procedures.
            Making procedures like that is so important. I learned that the first time I tried hiring someone years back.

Comment

I used to be the hired help!

I worked for a tax prep office. I LIKED it being seasonal. I was paid a base wage- then made a percentage of the returns I prepared. I can't remember if it was after a certain # of returns, it seems like it was. All returns were reviewed by management- any issues had to be fixed, reprinted & reassembled by me. (which cut into actual tax rtn prep time & $$). There was an agreed upon schedule. I got to keep my repeat clients in subsequent years. There was a non-compete agreement required & a new contract each year. Confidentiality agreement. I was ready to be done by end of April- but I was happy to go back in Jan.

I opened my own office only after the owners retired & moved away.

Comment

Retired and home

I have seen a real growth in retired CPAs working tax seasons and there are always a rather high functioning group of Block seasoned preparers. I have used the later for 20 years and they were referred to me by a tax practice down the hall and are very capable. Weakness is the business side, but those are handled by the full time staff anyway. The more interesting fact is the price. Mine is $38 to $40 per hour, but that is easy to pass on.

Comment

Working...
                X