Qualifying property for 50% special depreciation allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Page 9-9 of The Tax Book states:MACRS property with a recovery period of 20 years or less qualifies for this allowance.

Question: Client is in the cement laying business. He constructed and owns a Pole Barn on his own land to keep his equipment protected. The Pole Barn cost $35,500.

Would this property be eligible for this special allowance?

Great question, but has this been brought up before???

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

You might be thinking that since the "storage facility" is a pole barn (Farm Building, other than a single purpose building) is usually 20 years recovery under MACRS.

Keep in mind, IRS say metal storage buildings have a 39 year recovery period under MACRS and this barn will not be used in an agricultural activity so I am thinking...39 years. If used in an agricultural activity, I would say 20 years or less (if single use).

No bonus and no Sec 179, but that's my opinion. But, what if this pole barn qualifies as a "canopy or awning"? Hmmm.....but maybe not because, the canopy of awning "Does not include permanent canopies that are an integral part of a building’s structural shell, such as porte-cochere (covered entrances for vehicle drive-up) and porticos (covered porches), or over docks"...from an IRS Cost Segregation Study.

I think you might be stuck with 39 years, no Bonus and no Section 179; non-residential building or structure. That's just me.
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

I agree with DaveinTexas. It is 39 years and no Special Depreciation Allowance.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Comment

Working...
        X