Which States Require Drivers Licenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which States Require Drivers Licenses

From a prior post we know that NY and Alabama are requiring drivers licenses. Which other states are requiring this info?
    My understanding about NY is, we will be able to E-file a NY return without drivers license info but this will most likely delay the refund.
    Does anyone disagree with my understanding?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    From a prior post we know that NY and Alabama are requiring drivers licenses. Which other states are requiring this info?
    My understanding about NY is, we will be able to E-file a NY return without drivers license info but this will most likely delay the refund.
    Does anyone disagree with my understanding?
    My understanding with NY is if the taxpayer does not actually have a driver's license we can submit them without driver's license information. If they have one and tell us they don't want to submit it I think we're stuck either paper filing or lying and saying they don't have it.

Comment

Requiring DL information

GREAT question. . .hope someone knows the answer.

There is a world of difference between "request" or "supply" or "require" a driver license ID.

I know VA has had some DL input (residents only??) for a couple of years, but unsure if it is (was) actually required or just a further (quick) security check for the Commonwealth. At last check, NC has no DL provision of any type in place for 2016 tax returns. And apparently NY has gone all in. . .but I quit doing any NY returns a couple of years ago.

Also, tax software providers will face a similar dilemma. Will you get an "alert" of a potential problem or an "error" where you cannot proceed further with efiling a state tax return not containing the DL info??

FE

Comment

Stop it

I wished the states would stop requiring this information. This is what makes us so valuable for ID theft attacks.

Comment

Oklahoma is requesting it. If not provided they will hold up refunds for 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
          X