what's with that?

A RED squirrel--what's with that?

Comment

Pinko

squirrel to you.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
        A RED squirrel--what's with that?
        Ah...the Mount Graham red squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus grahamensis). It is one of 25 subspecies of red squirrels found thoughout North America. The Mount Graham subspecies, which is found only on the Pinaleno (Graham) Mountains of southeastern Arizona, was thought to have been extinct in the 1950's, but small numbers of squirrels were "rediscovered" in the 1970's.

Amazing isn't it?

Comment

red meat

We got endangered reds here in Santa Cruz too. With us, it's the frogs. Not the whole frog, just the legs. Red, I mean.

I'm sympathetic to the frogs. They live in little swampy creeks where no one should be doing backyard bar-b-cues anyway--take away the frogs and you got all them mosquitoes.

Loss of habitat is a concept I can understand in terms of little creeks, but I don't think Mt. Graham is going anywhere. On the other hand, where I live squirrels (which are a nice proper gray) absolutely thrive in the urban environment. If only they would eat the mosquitoes....

Well, if God actually made some red squirrels I'm sure He had His reasons. Best to let them be.

Oh! Unless you have too many? Killed off all the wolves, did you, and now you have to restore the balance?

Squirrel--the other red meat!

Comment

The fifties Democrats

>>Well, he's an old-fashioned "fifties" Democrat. He voted with us quite a bit.<<

The fifties Democrats of course stood in opposition to the fifties Republicans. It's hard to get Republicans to admit they've abandoned the classic GOP virtues, but what else can your statement mean?

In the fifties, the Supreme Allied Commander himself argued against basing economic growth on military hardware. And he argued even more against the big government Social Democrats who were sweeping Europe and eventually brought us the Great Society.

But as you say, the new Republicans love the fifties Democrats. Instead of neo-cons, we should call them neo-Keynes.

Comment

Working...
            X