Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYS driver license

For anyone who prepares NYS returns.

It appears that New York State will require driver license info on 2016 NYS tax returns that are e-filed. A message from a member of NYS DTF Office of Public Affairs

Thank you for reaching-out to me regarding this. The change to the software- making it mandatory to enter the driver’s license or non-driver’s license number was approved and published after my presentation. We are having discussions as to the best tool to get this information out to all preparers.

NYS Driver License?

I checked on the NYS Tax site and found no requirement for this. ProSeries is set up to put this in but I don't think we need to. Where did you get this from?

Comment

CCH stated in today's CCH Software News:

• New York Individual. Requires the driver's license or state identification number to electronically file if the taxpayer has one. If the taxpayer does not have one, No Identification should be indicated.

• Partnership. Officer ID number is required for all states other than California, Michigan and Texas.
      • Corporation. Officer ID number is required for all states other than California, Florida, Michigan and Texas.
      • S Corporation. Officer ID number is required for all states other than California, Florida, Michigan and Texas.
      • Fiduciary. Officer ID number is required for all states other than California and Texas.
      • Exempt Organization. Officer ID number is required for New York and Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by August @ ADG Financial View Post
        I checked on the NYS Tax site and found no requirement for this. ProSeries is set up to put this in but I don't think we need to. Where did you get this from?
        NYSSEA has been told the info is in NYS Pub 93 released on 1/4/17. Of course, no one can find this pub as of this date.

BTW, this appears to be for anyone who files a NYS return. For example, a PA resident who files a NY non-resident return would provide the PA license info.
        NYS license holders must also provide the document number - a VERY small number on the license. As one practitioner observed - he may go blind trying to read all those numbers.

Comment

Alabama

Alabama started this in 2015. The statement from AL Dept of Revenue claimed it was to cut back on identity theft, although there was nothing within their access with which to compare, and even less for non-residents upon whom the requirement was placed as well.

There was considerable discussion that by controlling Driver's license, Alabama could use the pressure on child support laggers, DUIs, and all manner of social problems not related to taxes, and this was the driving force behind disclosure of the drivers' license number. About half of my Alabama customers filed paper returns, some of them in protest.

Comment

Just for your information,,, NYS has 2 style licenses. The old one has the DLN on the front and the new one is on the back.........................I started loading up business clients info and was getting the new style license.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              Just for your information,,, NYS has 2 style licenses. The old one has the DLN on the front and the new one is on the back.........................I started loading up business clients info and was getting the new style license.
              If you can find a smartphone app (or other scanning tool) that will read the 2D barcode, you will have another way of accessing the information regardless of location and size.
              Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                About half of my Alabama customers filed paper returns, some of them in protest.
                I don't think the states can really win - if they do nothing about identity theft taxpayers effected are upset. If they require additional information taxpayers are upset over the requirement.

Comment

Just received my first two NY DLs from a MFJ couple. Is the number I need the ID: xxx xxx xxx?

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                    Just received my first two NY DLs from a MFJ couple. Is the number I need the ID: xxx xxx xxx?
                    Yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Justataxguy View Post
                      Yes it is.
                      You will need 2 sets of numbers... The large print DL# and the small print Document Locator Number ( DLN ). The DLN is either on the front bottom right (old style) or on the back of the driver license ( newer style).
                      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thank you, Gentlemen. So is that really tiny print combination of letters and numbers in the bottom right corner the DLN? About 10 characters?

Anyone know the cutoff between old style and new? I have two, both issued 10-21-11 so am thinking old and all I need is on the front.... Hoping that's true as they're in Singapore and uploaded copies to my portal. Lots of my clients send me copies of their info, so knowing when to ask for the back as well as the front of their DLs now would save me time later.

Again, thanks to all.
                        Last edited by Lion; 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                          Thank you, Gentlemen. So is that really tiny print combination of letters and numbers in the bottom right corner the DLN? About 10 characters?

Anyone know the cutoff between old style and new? I have two, both issued 10-21-11 so am thinking old and all I need is on the front.... Hoping that's true as they're in Singapore and uploaded copies to my portal. Lots of my clients send me copies of their info, so knowing when to ask for the back as well as the front of their DLs now would save me time later.

Again, thanks to all.
                          Looks like January 28, 2014. https://dmv.ny.gov/id-card/sample-photo-documents

Comment

Working...
                          X