real estate agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

real estate agent

A real estate agent has to share cost of office at the agency where he can meet with the clients. If he maintain a home office, can he also deduct business use of home office? How about mileage deduction, can he deduct the mileage from home to the agency office or just the mileage from office to the houses he is showing or the mileage from his home to the clients' home?

Originally posted by MANDAN View Post
    A real estate agent has to share cost of office at the agency where he can meet with the clients. If he maintain a home office, can he also deduct business use of home office? How about mileage deduction, can he deduct the mileage from home to the agency office or just the mileage from office to the houses he is showing or the mileage from his home to the clients' home?
    From pub 463: "Also, daily transportation expenses can be deducted if: (1) you have one or more regular work locations away from your residence or (2) your residence is your principal place of business and you incur expenses going between the residence and another work location in the same trade or business, regardless of whether the work is temporary or permanent and regardless of the distance."

It would come down to if the home office or the realty office is the principal place of business. Of course, the home office would also need to meet the regular and exclusive use requirement.

Somewhere in my mind I'm remembering that there would need to be work done during the day at the home office (which could be as simple as checking business e-mails) first b4 traveling to second location, but I'm not seeing that spelled out.

Comment

Working...
    X