Revalidate E-Services ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revalidate E-Services ID

Received via snail-mail letter 5903 yesterday saying I needed to revalidate my E-Services Identity. Said to login in to www.irs.gov/transcript, which I did and it showed: "Your Site Image":a picture of an ugly dog with a hat and sunglasses and "Your Site ID": with I guess the dog's name. I entered my e-services password and then decided things didn't look legit and backed out. Has any else received this? Are the dog and his name legit? I tried calling the phone number listed on the letter but, of course, the IRS is closed on Sunday.

Originally posted by jmcdtax View Post
    Said to login in to www.irs.gov/transcript, which I did and it showed: "Your Site Image":a picture of an ugly dog with a hat and sunglasses and "Your Site ID": with I guess the dog's name.
    The letter is legit. All active e-services users with Get Transcript permissions are supposed to get one in the next 3-5 weeks.

The link you created in your post, above, is also apparently legit, and it takes me to the IRS "Get Transcript" page. But this one is better, are you sure the letter didn't have this link given?

Get tax records and transcripts online or by mail. Prior-year tax returns, tax account transactions, wage and income statements and confirmation of non-filing letters.

Since you were presumably typing the link in by hand, are you sure you didn't get something like www dot irs dot com instead (a look-alike URL)? There should also be an https: at the beginning of the URL. Your browser should allow you to verify the site info somewhere in the address bar, by hovering or clicking on an icon.

The legitimate IRS page and login does not display a site "image" at the logon screen. That was a fad some years ago, but now has been mostly superseded by the use of https:// and the ability to verify a site's security certificate (the "s" part of https).
    Last edited by Rapid Robert; 12-11-2016, 07:30 PM.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
      The letter is legit. All active e-services users with Get Transcript permissions are supposed to get one in the next 3-5 weeks.

The link you created in your post, above, is also apparently legit, and it takes me to the IRS "Get Transcript" page. But this one is better, are you sure the letter didn't have this link given?

Get tax records and transcripts online or by mail. Prior-year tax returns, tax account transactions, wage and income statements and confirmation of non-filing letters.

Since you were presumably typing the link in by hand, are you sure you didn't get something like www dot irs dot com instead (a look-alike URL)? There should also be an https: at the beginning of the URL. Your browser should allow you to verify the site info somewhere in the address bar, by hovering or clicking on an icon.

The legitimate IRS page and login does not display a site "image" at the logon screen. That was a fad some years ago, but now has been mostly superseded by the use of https:// and the ability to verify a site's security certificate (the "s" part of https).
      Reply:

The URL referred to in the letter is www.irs.gov/transcript. When I enter that or even the one you suggest I end up at https://sa.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/login_password.jsp, which takes me to the site image: dog with sunglasses. I will wait and call IRS tomorrow.

Thank you

Comment

Success

I tried the site again this morning. I had to re-register because I had tried logging in too may times. I had to enter information the IRS knew: SSN, CC number, phone number. I had to pick a new Image and a new Phrase. The IRS sent a text message to my cell phone, entered that and site responded: SUCCESS. Good to go. I guess. I think IRS Cyber-security worked this time until the next break-in, which will no doubt occur soon...

Comment

Credit Card Number!

Comment

I tried the site again this morning. I had to re-register because I had tried logging in too may times. I had to enter information the IRS knew: SSN, CC number, phone number. I had to pick a new Image and a new Phrase. The IRS sent a text message to my cell phone, entered that and site responded: SUCCESS. Good to go. I guess. I think IRS Cyber-security worked this time until the next break-in, which will no doubt occur soon...
            Hmm... so I guess it's the Get Transcript system that uses the image at login? I know that e-services does not use a login image. I expect to get one of the letters, so I guess I'll get to see for myself.

Displaying an image (ugly dog with glasses) which you do not recognize as one you selected, is exactly opposite of what the purpose of the image is. The normal response would be as your original one was, that it was a scam site. Really dumb idea if they are displaying a random image.
            Last edited by Rapid Robert; 12-12-2016, 11:10 AM.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

For security reasons I took the route through irs.gov/ tax professionals e-services etc. Changed my password and have had no problems. With all the scams I'm not trusting anything anymore without verifying it first.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Question ??

How does your process circumvent the letter notice for revalidation of your identity?

Sandy

Comment

Revalidate via call-in

I don't have a cell phone account in my own name (I use Tracfone), so I had to call in to the Help Desk. Took about 5 minutes total at 8am Monday morning. They asked for non-monetary data from my 2015 return (filing status, spouse name, major source of income, name of pension payers). Painless.

Comment

That's right

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                    Credit Card Number!
                    They want to know it all these days!! I was told in a seminar you must have a text sent to you every time you log on to E Services. And, if you don't own a cell phone that is text-enabled, the IRS will, well here you go (from the Q&A):

"To complete your identity authentication in one session, you will need a U.S.-based, text-enabled mobile phone associated with your name, i.e. your name or address is associated with account. If you do not have a personal mobile phone that meets the requirements or do not want to use your personal mobile phone, you may request an activation code by mail, which will be delivered within five to 10 calendar days."

My last added point is if you don't own a "text-enabled mobile phone" then the IRS will mail a 700lb stone carved with a activation code and charge you for shipping!!! That's a joke!
                    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

SSA has also gone to texting codes, now IRS is texting codes, how is this anymore secure? How are they checking to see if our cell phones are in our name? I have even had a few banks and credit cards that want to text to cell phones.

I do not believe our cell phones offer us that much protection - the hackers are after that info as well - I do not text nor allow my clients the privilege of texting. After all the "smart phones" are just like a "mini computer"

So now we are pushed back to the "dark ages" via mail, time delays, etc

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                        SSA has also gone to texting codes, now IRS is texting codes, how is this anymore secure?
                        I'm not going to try to answer that here, there are plenty of places where you can learn about it, such as Wikipedia (search for "two factor authentication"). But yes, if you have had not only your account password but also your phone compromised, it won't help much. I read an article a few years back about a computer guy who had just that happen to him. The phone was taken over by social engineering, the hacker called in and used the so-called "security questions" (which are actually the exact opposite) to get the vendor to reset the victim's password.

The other problem is there is not reliable cell phone coverage everywhere, even in the middle of some densely populated areas.

Originally posted by S T View Post
                        So now we are pushed back to the "dark ages" via mail, time delays, etc
                        Welcome to California Franchise Tax Board! They have steadfastly refused to adopt multi-factor authentication. What used to be immediate online self-services is now a minimum two-week delay, waiting for paper mail -- after spending uncounted millions updating their computer system. I wonder how much they are now spending on printing stuffing and mailing envelopes.

As a fan of the US Postal Service, I do at least see a silver lining here.

Comment

We have one cell phone plan with five people on it. It's in my husband's name.

And, to add to the puzzle, all those questions that get asked from a public knowledge base seem to be based on my ex-husband and his second wife (who used this zip code for years without my knowledge to get better interest rates). I couldn't even set up notifications with UPS in my name. But, I do know things about my current husband (like what street he lived on in Harrisburg and what bank held his mortgage on his first house with his ex-wife) so set up our UPS account in his name. That won't work as a tax preparer; can't use hubby's name with EA, PTIN, ERO, EFIN, etc. all in my name.

Comment

Confused

I have not gotten the 5903 letter. Is everyone going to get one? I logged into my E Services account in mid-November and changed the password without incident. I have not requested a transcript in th past year.

Does that mean I will not have to revalidate my account? Is everyone going to have to revalidate. I am so confused.

Comment

Frustrating process to log in

Reply:

The URL referred to in the letter is www.irs.gov/transcript. When I enter that or even the one you suggest I end up at https://sa.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/login_password.jsp, which takes me to the site image: dog with sunglasses. I will wait and call IRS tomorrow.

Thank you
                              I have no idea how this happened. When (carefully) typing in the web address as shown on the letter I received, it takes me directly to the web page ( https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript ) as described earlier by Rapid Robert.

The system IS a pain. I had two sessions today to end with error code #8302. Finally got everything to work (numbers sent to me via email, then text to phone) and all was fine but while I was selecting my security image I was "logged out for your protection." Upon retry, I can do nothing online for 24 hours.

I'm all for security, but five failed attempts (and several/all not my doing) in succession is a bit ridiculous when proper information is entered. One would think that by the time I was choosing a cute picture and a phrase that I had already cleared most of the necessary hurdles.

FE

Comment

Working...
                              X