Corporation Move-new charter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporation Move-new charter?

If a corporation moves its entire operations from one state to another what are the advantages of filing as a foreign entity vs rechartering?

I'm thinking:

Advantages of new charter: No liability for filing reports in original state once corporation dissolved

Disadvantage of new charter: I'd imagine a new EIN would be required, 2 sets of federal returns due for year of move including payroll filings,

What all is involved tax wise if client wants to merge old corporation into new to maintain EIN?

A change in the place of incorporation is a "Type F" reorganization. (Code §368(a)(1)(F)) A corporation continues to use the same federal EIN, and files a single tax return for the year of the changeover. For the states, I believe two tax returns would be required ... one for the old state, and one for the new.

Corporate reorganizations are quite interesting to read about and learn the tax rules, requirements and results. There are seven types of reorganizations, and they are described in Code §368 ... specifically §368(a)(1). They are known and referred to by the letters, A through G.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
    X