HSA eligible plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSA eligible plan

Question on what constitutes a HSA eligible plan. If a plan has a set co-pay, say $50 for an office visit before deductible being met does that make it non-eligible? The plans that are listed on healthcare.gov as HSA eligible seem to indicate that is the case. I'm not finding anything official from IRS verifying this. Does anyone know where to verify this?

If the plan pays for ANYTHING besides preventive care before the deductible is filled, it is not a High Deductible Health Plan.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
      If the plan pays for ANYTHING besides preventive care before the deductible is filled, it is not a High Deductible Health Plan.
      I'm not seeing where it says that. Also, I'm not seeing anything in IRC 233 that says copay is not allowed. For 2017 the only HSA plan available to me is Anthem, and I'm not going to pay an additional $200/mo to have Anthem. Rather than just relying on if it is HSA eligible from the site, I'm looking if there is something in code or regs that spells out that if there is a set amount for a visit it precludes being eligible.

Comment

In the Publication, you need to 'read between the lines'. That is what a high "deductible" means, it doesn't pay for things before that is met. It says that preventive care CAN be paid for before the deductible. The implication is that non-preventive care can NOT be paid for before the deductible. It says that if the policy has a Prescription Drug Plan, it can not pay anything before the deductible is met and if it pays for anything you are not an eligible individual.

If you want a point-blank statement, try Notice 2004-23: "Generally, an HDHP may not provide benefits for any year until the deductible for that year is satisfied."

Comment

Working...
        X