NOL for a defunct S-Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOL for a defunct S-Corp

I have a new client whose S-corp ceased operations in 2013. His 2013 personal return shows an NOL from the S-corp that still has a balance. What becomes of the remaining NOL? Is it no longer allowed because he has no basis in the corporation? Is there somewhere else it can be taken? Thank you.

Your post isn't very clear, and I suspect it may be based on a misunderstanding.

An individual doesn't have "an NOL from an S Corp." He only reports the S Corp's pass-through income or loss on his own income tax return each year. If he, the individual, then has an NOL, it is not "an NOL from an S Corp" or from any other specific source. In other words, an NOL is not "source specific." Rather, it is simply an amount. It is then carried back 2 years and forward 20 years. An election can be made to forego the carryback and carry the NOL forward only.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

S Corp is Gone

There can be no occurrence of an NOL for an S corp. There can only be suspended losses, where an accumulation of losses exceed the shareholders' basis.

It is possible for a legitimate S corp loss to create an NOL on a shareholder's PERSONAL return.

If the S Corp is "defunct" as you say, it should have been liquidated on a final 1120-S return. If, by reason of additional shareholder contributions related to the liquidation, additional basis becomes available, shareholder may benefit by taking whatever suspended losses are released. If the S-corp simply dies on the vine with suspended losses never released, the shareholder cannot take them.

Comment

Working...
      X