WebCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WebCD

What format will the WebCD be on our computer and will the updates change the pages/data or will it be additional pages. I saw somewhere a comment that the updates could be printed from .pdf files and inserted into the physical book? Is the original book a pdf file? Could you gives us more detail as to just how the program updates as to integration with the original program?
    Last edited by OldJack; 08-04-2006, 09:58 PM.

I would like to purchase the WebCD if there was a little more information as to how it works. Is there real-time updates changing the original pages or just an update page? I can print the current updates to pdf file now if that is the case I would not need WebCD. The concept of real-time updates is great but I don't like buying a pig in a poke.

Comment

The Web CD is designed to work using your internet browser. So whatever you use on your computer to serf the net, that is what your Web CD will look like. It is straight text from TheTaxBook, with most of the graphics taken away for speed, although charts will still appear in a similar format that you see in the printed book.

With this format, there is of course a search engine to find information fast, as the page references in the printed publication will not apply. The text subheadings are also linked to IRS Publications and other source documents for further information.

In addition to the straight text format, there will be PDF files of the entire printed book so that you can print out and give your clients specific pages from TTB if you choose. PDF files are slower, and the search engines are not as effective. Our program gives you the choice of which format to use. If you know exactly which page in TTB you want, the PDF can take you there. If you are searching for information and you don’t know where to look in the printed publication, the text formatted version will get you there fast using the program’s search engine.

As for updates, both the text version and the PDF version will be automatically updated over the Internet. So if there is a new tax law that does not change 2006 tax rules, that update will appear at the end of the pages in Tab 1 under “What’s New.” The 2005 tax year edition for Tab 1 was 18 pages. The Web CD for 2006 could increase the page count, depending on what Congress passes after the printed publication has been released. You could choose to print the PDF version of Tab 1 which includes those additional pages, or simply use the Web CD text format version to read about the changes on your computer screen.

Other updates could actually require information on a particular topic in TTB to change. For example, after the 2005 tax year book was printed last December, Congress changed the rule mention on page 3-14 concerning using a decree of divorce to claim a dependent child of a noncustodial parent. Our Web CD would have both the text version and the PDF version of page 3-14 change to agree with the new rule. So you could print out a clean hard copy using the PDF version to tape over page 3-14 of your printed book. In addition, the text version would also be automatically updated so that the next time you do a search on that subject, the information is current.

Under the table of content navigation menu, there will also be a list of new updates, so that you can check to see what new information has been added at any given time.

Comment

Excellent information/response Brad. Thank you. I will be signing up for the WebCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Imsdahl
          with most of the graphics taken away for speed
          WHAT! NO CARTOONS?

Comment

Working...
          X