PTIN renewal for 2017 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTIN renewal for 2017 season

Has anyone renewed for the coming season yet. I see a place to renew for 2016 but not for 2017 season.

Ptin

Not available yet normally some time in October.

Comment

October 15th, I think

I think its the 15th of October.

Comment

PTIN renewal is now active

I renewed my PTIN for 2017 and paid my $50 fee online earlier today.

Only took a few minutes at the IRS web site ( https://rpr.irs.gov/datamart/mainMenuUSIRS.do )

FE

Comment

Renewed today

I'm an EA and received an email today 10/5 to allow me an early renewal.

Comment

Renewed yesterday. Took about 10 minutes.

Comment

I got my early renewal invite today.

Comment

No Can Do

My friend got an early renewal letter as he is an EA. I am an AFSP and when I tried to renew that option was not available. I think the start date is 10/17 for most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
                  My friend got an early renewal letter as he is an EA.
                  I don't think it has anything to do with being an EA, as many EAs have not received early renewal letters. Here's what NATP says:

"The PTIN renewal season is set to begin the week of October 17. The IRS will be emailing all PTIN holders advising that their PTINs expire on December 31, 2016 and that open season is underway for renewing for 2017.

To get a head start, this week the IRS is also sending early renewal invitations to about 70,000 PTIN holders who have renewed early the past two or three years."
                  "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Unrelated to EA status

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
                    I don't think it has anything to do with being an EA, as many EAs have not received early renewal letters. Here's what NATP says:

"The PTIN renewal season is set to begin the week of October 17. The IRS will be emailing all PTIN holders advising that their PTINs expire on December 31, 2016 and that open season is underway for renewing for 2017.

To get a head start, this week the IRS is also sending early renewal invitations to about 70,000 PTIN holders who have renewed early the past two or three years."
                    I agree the issue of EA status is irrelevant for this discussion.

Following is an excerpt from an email message I received on October 5th:

"Congratulations! To thank you for repeatedly renewing your Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) early, you have the opportunity to renew your PTIN before the season opens to the general public. The PTIN system is ready to accept your renewal from Oct. 5 through Oct. 14. Should you miss this opportunity, you can still renew your PTIN during renewal season in mid-October."

FE

Comment

Out of curiosity, why are so many people so eager to renew their PTINs? They are still valid for over two and a half more months.

While I realize most of us probably don't want to wait until December 31st, I think it is interesting why people want to do it ASAP.

I'm not meaning to speak negatively of the early-birds or anything like that; I am just curious.

Last edited by TaxGuyBill; 10-09-2016, 03:21 PM. Reason: Rephrased things

Comment

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
                        Out of curiosity, why are so many people so eager to renew their PTINs? They are still valid for over two and a half more months.

While I realize most of us probably don't want to wait until December 31st, I think it is interesting why people want to do it ASAP.

I'm not meaning to speak negatively of the early-birds or anything like that; I am just curious.

Its like anything else in life.... why wait until the last minute.. especially with the IRS. Get it done and out of the way.

Chris

Comment

Guess I think differently. I don't want to give them my money until I have to. I don't wait til very last minute but sure don't want to part with the money this early. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                            Guess I think differently. I don't want to give them my money until I have to. I don't wait til very last minute but sure don't want to part with the money this early. Lol
                            Smart business decision.
                            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Ptin renewal

Just did it took no time. Just another thing not to worry about forgetting.

Comment

Working...
                              X