Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRS Penalty abatement for missing the monthly paying of payroll taxes to semimonthly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Penalty abatement for missing the monthly paying of payroll taxes to semimonthly?

Is there an IRS abatement available for missing the change from monthly payment of payroll taxes to semi-monthly payment of taxes? Not intentional.

Thank you.

To my knowledge, there was not a notice from the IRS changing the payment schedule from monthly to semi-monthly. Should the IRS have sent such a notice?

Thanks again.

Duane

Comment

Originally posted by duanecpa View Post
      To my knowledge, there was not a notice from the IRS changing the payment schedule from monthly to semi-monthly. Should the IRS have sent such a notice?

Thanks again.

Duane
      I'm assuming you mean they were changed to semi-weekly as opposed to semi-monthly. If the change was for 2016 they would have received a notice of the change in late 2015. IRS will generally waive the penalty for the 1st quarter after the change and send a letter indicating that they did so. If the penalty was for the 1st quarter, you should request removal of penalties. If it's for the 2nd quarter, you can try, but probably won't have much success.

Comment

There are two deposit schedules—monthly and semi-weekly. Exceptions to those schedules include quarterly and next business day. There is no such thing as a "semi-monthly" schedule. Consult Pub 15 for details.
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
        X