X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximum vehicle depreciation

Pub 946 and tax book state the following for vehicle depreciation maximums:

"The annual deduction is the lesser of:
    • The vehicle’s basis multiplied by the business use percentage multiplied by the applicable depreciation percentage, or
    • The section 280F limit multiplied by the business percentage."

All the accompanying examples show only vehicles purchased under the HY convention, thus using 20% for the "applicable depreciation percentage". My question is this: if the mid-quarter convention applies (typically 4th as taxpayers scramble for deductions), does this percentage change (i.e. 1st- 35%, 2nd- 25%, 3rd- 15%, 4th- 5%)? My tax software seems to default to the $11,160 / $11,460 amounts for the first year, which may be incorrect, especially if 4th quarter percentages apply. Please advise, and thank you.

IRS issues 2016 changes.

Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

To reiterate, my main confusion is with the "applicable depreciation percentage". Literally every single example I can find in all my publications and web searches involves a car purchased in the middle of the year, thus the HY convention and 20% multiplier. I need to know if a manual adjustment is to be made to my tax software for a midquarter convention, as it defaults to the $3,160/$11,160, $3,460, etc. 280F limits. Under HY, for example, a $60,000 passenger vehicle used 100% for business would qualify for a $12,000 (20% X $60K) deduction, which would be reduced to a 280F limit of $11,160. But under midquarter, a 4th quarter purchase of the same car could yield a mere $3,000 deduction (5% X $60K). This is a HUGE difference, which is why I'm trying to sort it out. Thoughts, oh wise tax preparers?

Comment

Originally posted by mbigelow View Post
        To reiterate, my main confusion is with the "applicable depreciation percentage". Literally every single example I can find in all my publications and web searches involves a car purchased in the middle of the year, thus the HY convention and 20% multiplier. I need to know if a manual adjustment is to be made to my tax software for a midquarter convention, as it defaults to the $3,160/$11,160, $3,460, etc. 280F limits. Under HY, for example, a $60,000 passenger vehicle used 100% for business would qualify for a $12,000 (20% X $60K) deduction, which would be reduced to a 280F limit of $11,160. But under midquarter, a 4th quarter purchase of the same car could yield a mere $3,000 deduction (5% X $60K). This is a HUGE difference, which is why I'm trying to sort it out. Thoughts, oh wise tax preparers?
        If it qualifies for special depreciation you can claim 50% of the cost up to the max of 11,160 regardless of when placed in service during the year. If is does not qualify, you are limited to the 5% for 4th qrt mid quarter.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
          If it qualifies for special depreciation you can claim 50% of the cost up to the max of 11,160 regardless of when placed in service during the year. If is does not qualify, you are limited to the 5% for 4th qrt mid quarter.
          Thanks kathyc2
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

It is limited to 5%, UP TO the maximum annual exclusion.

In other words, the Mid-Quarter Convention (versus the Half-Year Convention) does not reduce the $11,160 / $11,460 limit ($3060/$3460 if it does not qualify for Bonus Depreciation).

EDIT: On second thought, I see where you are coming from now. It is sort of two limits, a $8000 limit for bonus and a $3060/$3460 limit for 'regular' depreciation. So logically, if the 5% is less than $3060/$3460, the 'excess' amount should reduce the $11,160/$11,460, rather than been added to the $8000 of Bonus Depreciation. However, as far as I can see, the Revenue Procedure and the tables do not address this, and the the tables do not indicate it reduce the limits.

Very interesting. I never though of that.
            Last edited by TaxGuyBill; 09-07-2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Thank you, all, for insightful feedback. Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
              X