church and 501c3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

church and 501c3

Church has been 501c3 for as long as it could be, church is 125 years old. when i go onto the 'check exempt status" and put in EIN, won't come up. I don't believe we have to file a 990N, so is there another place to look?

See publication 1828

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    Church has been 501c3 for as long as it could be, church is 125 years old. when i go onto the 'check exempt status" and put in EIN, won't come up. I don't believe we have to file a 990N, so is there another place to look?
    "Churches" are not required to file Form 990.

They do not always file Form 1023 to seek 501(c)(3) status. It is generally not necessary since 501(c)(3) status is automatic. It is helpful however if you have a member being audited and the auditor checks Pub 78.

If you have a determination letter, then they sought and received 501(c)(3) status. That should indicate no filing is necessary.

Even if the church does not have to file Form 990, Forms W-2, W-3, 1099MISC etc. are required. The church may also be subject to UBIT.

I hope this helps.

Comment

They may be off the list

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
      Where are you checking, Jen? I found this: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...s-select-check

If they stopped filing 990N or 990-EZ or 990, they may be off the list. See point # 1.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I know the church has the determination of 501c3, but thought it might be listed under the exempt organizations. i've used the name and the EIN and it doesn't come up. I seem to remember finding it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MRTAX4EA View Post
          It is helpful however if you have a member being audited and the auditor checks Pub 78.
          I never expect churches to be listed in Pub 78. From IRS web site:

"Please be aware of the following when searching for organizations in this database:

1. Certain eligible donees (i.e., churches, group ruling subordinates, and governmental units) may not be listed in this database."
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
          X