Can a Joint Return be filed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Joint Return be filed?

Wife filed her 2010 return, MFS. She had a large Schedule C loss and no other income (don't worry about the NOL). Her Husband never filed. He had $150k of income. Finally the IRS is all over him to file. If he files MFS he owes $12,000 plus interest (I can get the penalty waived through FTA). I have been told he can't amend her return to file MFJ. I just want to be sure this is correct.

From Pub 501
    Joint Return After Separate Returns
    You can change your filing status from a separate return to a joint return by filing an amended return using Form 1040X.

You generally can change to a joint return any time within 3 years from the due date of the separate return or returns. This doesn't include any extensions. A separate return includes a return filed by you or your spouse claiming married filing separately, single, or head of household filing status.

Separate Returns After Joint Return
    Once you file a joint return, you can't choose to file separate returns for that year after the due date of the return.

Exception. A personal representative for a decedent can change from a joint return elected by the surviving spouse to a separate return for the decedent. The personal representative has 1 year from the due date (including extensions) of the return to make the change. See Pub. 559 for more information on filing income tax returns for a decedent.
    Looks like the due date of the return will be your obstacle.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
      Wife filed her 2010 return, MFS. She had a large Schedule C loss and no other income (don't worry about the NOL). Her Husband never filed. He had $150k of income. Finally the IRS is all over him to file. If he files MFS he owes $12,000 plus interest (I can get the penalty waived through FTA). I have been told he can't amend her return to file MFJ. I just want to be sure this is correct.
      Look at IRC section 6013(b)(2)

Comment

no. He has to file his return but it is too late for Mfj and she would have to agree anyway
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Thanks

To all 3 respondents,
          Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X