window 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window 10

July 29th last day to get free upgrade. What are you going to do. If you are using Tax Wise will it conform with the tax program like to hear from you.
    I have one computer upgraded and one not. I like windows 10 but will tax wise be ready for it Anyone heard from tax wise Just saw same question on a July 7the post. Sorry for not looking first
    Last edited by arlo; 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM.

Contact the correct tax vendor for the answer
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by arlo View Post
      July 29th last day to get free upgrade. What are you going to do. If you are using Tax Wise will it conform with the tax program like to hear from you.
      I have one computer upgraded and one not. I like windows 10 but will tax wise be ready for it Anyone heard from tax wise Just saw same question on a July 7the post. Sorry for not looking first
      Unless Taxwise is an exception, almost all professional tax software has been certified for use with Windows 10. But just to be sure contact CCH. Here is what they have said before

What is CCH SFS's recommendation regarding Windows 10?
      TaxWise is certified to run under Windows 10 with either Internet Explorer 11 or Google Chrome.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

TaxWise on Win 10

I used the desktop version of TaxWise on Windows 10 throughout the past season. No problems except for an initial known problem - you have to rerun the setup.exe file in TWTECH for one of the TaxWise years on your computer. That fixed it for ALL years. (IIRC the problem was that the Win10 upgrade didn't reinstall the current NetFramework module.) In any case my vendor (reseller SureFire Taxes) knew about the problem had had the "how to do it" instructions ready on-line. I can't verify that all the entities and states worked, but all that I tried did.

Comment

Remember...

Please remember that all support for Windows 7 is NOT ending. Here is a link to a very informative article from PC World. Hope it helps.

Beck

Don't worry: Microsoft won't end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020.

Comment

how many of you are NOT upgrading to Windows 10 at all?

I was just curious if anyone is NOT upgrading to Windows 10?

I am still running Windows 7Pro and wasn't planning on upgrading. Do I NEED to? What's best?

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post

I am still running Windows 7Pro and wasn't planning on upgrading. Do I NEED to? What's best?
              There will be plenty who do not upgrade. I think one reason to upgrade is improved security, and yes I know that Win 7 security patches will continue for several more years. I still think Win 10 has (and will have) better security features overall compared to Win 7.

Here is a completely different argument: if you have a Win 7 computer, it is most likely getting on to 4 or more years old, as that is the last time Win 7 was being bundled with new computers. Depending in part on your staffing (solo vs. employees) I'd suggest that replacing your computer(s) at least every 4 years is a good idea in general. The technology does really improve, it seems. By buying a new computer, you most likely will get Win 10 without the pain of upgrade.
              "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post

I have several desktops and laptops. I am leaving one old desktop with Windows 8.1 because the HD is almost up to capacity and I don't intend to use that machine next tax season. I have already upgraded my main desktop and laptop (clean install) with Windows 10 and so far no issues.

If you have several computers and feel comfortable with Win 7, leave one with Win 7!
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

nwtaxlady

I am not upgrading from Windows 7 until absolutely necessary.

Comment

Windows 10

Same here. Why change something that is not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by MDEA View Post
                      Same here. Why change something that is not broken.
                      If you plan to upgrade the hardware you may want consider this:

Answers to frequently asked questions about the lifecycle policy for Windows products.

Comment

Perspective on Win 10

I had an oldish computer that was running Win 7, and it met an early (unexpected) demise in March of this year.

Although it took some effort to reinstall / transfer stuff onto the new Win 10 computer, I've encountered zero significant problems. The learning curve is reasonable. My guess is most software that was running in a Win 7 environment will run quite well (better?) in a Win 10 environment.

Win 8 was (apparently) a disaster. And anyone who is still running a Win XP system needs to wake up, smell the coffee, and upgrade. . .if for no other than security considerations!

FE

Comment

Error message trying upgrade some will receive and cannot be fixed unless you change hardware and/or software.

The error received trying to load Windows 10

Ox80070021-Ox4000D

"The installation failed in the Second Boot phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation "
                          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                            Error message trying upgrade some will receive and cannot be fixed unless you change hardware and/or software.

The error received trying to load Windows 10

Ox80070021-Ox4000D

"The installation failed in the Second Boot phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation "
                            My friend's daughter has a HP computer with Win 7 (circa 2009). He ran that Windows 10 update checking software (available from Microsoft.com) and it said that the computer was not ready for update because of a particular Nvidia graphics card!

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                              My friend's daughter has a HP computer with Win 7 (circa 2009). He ran that Windows 10 update checking software (available from Microsoft.com) and it said that the computer was not ready for update because of a particular Nvidia graphics card!
                              Time for a new computer if its 7 years old. No way no how would I still try to use that dinosaur.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X