Windows 10 upgrade =

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 upgrade =

7-29-16 is final free upgrade from windows 7 & 8 to w-10.

I have w-7 and find it hard to decide =

If any have time, what thoughts ?

Thanx

Regards, Ricardo =

By the time your current computer dies (every 3 or 4 years) you won't have a choice, windows (whatever) will be out. I never look for trouble when I don't have to........................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I was forced into WIN 10 when my computer crashed. I use it the same way as I used Win 7...with shortcut icons on the desktop. I don't bother with the startup screen. I should warn you that I had to contact several of my program companies to get a new activation code. And...if you use any programs that are no longer supported you may have to buy newer versions because when they stop support for the version you are using, they effectively cancel your license for that program and you have to fight with them for a new access code so you can keep using it. So far no problems with ProSeries Pro. Haven't checked the pre 2007 versions or whether WiN XP mor work with Win 10.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo View Post
        7-29-16 is final free upgrade from windows 7 & 8 to w-10.

I have w-7 and find it hard to decide =

If any have time, what thoughts ?

Thanx

Regards, Ricardo =
        Assuming you have already checked with your software vendor if it is Win 10 ready, the upgrade can be made relatively error free by first backing up your data, uninstalling the software, upgrading to Win 10 and then reinstalling the software and data files. Watch out for some minor hardware drivers that can cause some unexpected issues but you can generally find the updated driver
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Windows 10

We did the upgrade a month ago on 4 computers in our office. Going from Win 7. No problems here. We use ProSeries and all the other usually software.
          Not one problem. We did bring in our on call IT guy to do the upgrade. As the install went easy on one computer but the other 3 hung up. We keep him
          on call for just such problems. He charges just $35 and hr. but we give him $75. as when we have problems we want him here fast. He is great! I think
          I would go ahead and do it while it's free.

Comment

Are there Any Advantages?

I have asked several people whether there are any tangible ADVANTAGES to Windows 10 versus Windows 7 to justify making the change. I haven't heard of many, but I'm thinking the real benefit is to Microsoft Corp. Lots of bombardment of advertising from what I've seen.

I know a lot of people that are sick and tired of new versions of software that do nothing except give the software company something new to sell.

Comment

The Win 10 being offered is the full program, not an upgrade. Back up your data but you dont need to uninstall win 7. Win 10 will keep everything on the Win 7 platform, converting it all to Win 10. You need only reinstall your programs...all data files will be there. the backup is only needed if something goes wrong.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                I have asked several people whether there are any tangible ADVANTAGES to Windows 10 versus Windows 7 to justify making the change. I haven't heard of many, but I'm thinking the real benefit is to Microsoft Corp. Lots of bombardment of advertising from what I've seen.

I know a lot of people that are sick and tired of new versions of software that do nothing except give the software company something new to sell.
                You have to decide if you want Microsoft to update your OS with patches etc. once Win 7 support completely stops. Just like with Win XP all you get from Microsoft is an occasional update to the Malicious software removal tool.

If your current application works perfect under Win 7 and you don't expect to update it in the future you can stay put. But consider what would happen if your current application stops supporting Win 7 in the future and the deadline for free Windows 10 upgrade has passed???
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Worry about tomorrow tomorrow

From what most of you are saying, the only real advantage is that you won't lose support when they drop support on Windows 7. From the perspective of real value, it's like drinking your own bathwater. We know from the Vista/XP threat that dropping Win7 could be a ways off. By the time they drop Win7 the latest rage of the day might be Windows 15, with Win10 about to drop off the map by then.

Very much like scheduling a colonoscopy with your proctologist. If you're going to have to do it in six months anyway, why do it today?

Worry about tomorrow if there is reason. Otherwise, "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." (KJV)
                  Last edited by Snaggletooth; 07-09-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

W - 10

Thanks to you all = much to consider .

Ron has always had a way with words =

Regards = Ricardo

Comment

Working...
                    X