Mileage again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage again

I have another mileage question. I think many times we understand the mileage issue but due to insistance of TP and the people they work with taking a mileage deduction, we question ourselves or want to be very sure that we are right in allowing or disallowing the deduction.

Fact:
    1. **The TP is self-employed.** She works for a contractor cleaning homes that he has just completed building. She has just begun to work for a second contractor.

2. The job *IS* expected to last more than a year.

3. The contractor has built many homes in the same neighborhood, so she travels to the same neighborhood everyday, just to different new homes within that neighborhood. The second contractor has homes in the same neighborhood as well. She has cleaned homes in another neighborhood a couple of times. These neighborhoods are 160 miles from where she lives, but it seems that her tax home may be where these homes are located, not where she lives.

4. She does not have a qualified home office because she really has no business to attend to that would require an office.

5. The first (main) contractor has a model home in the same neighborhood where she does almost all of her cleaning, that has his office in it. There are some days that she goes to that office to get her job assignments before she goes to the homes that she cleans. This office is in the same neighborhood as the homes that she cleans.

Thanks for you opinion on this mileage issue.

160 Miles

Does She stay over night? Each way is about 3 hr drive.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Travel to the first home or job is commuting.

Comment

She does not stay

She does not stay overnight.
        Thanks

Comment

Since she is traveling away from home (if it is deemed to be outside of the general metropolitan area) she would be allowed mileage even if she doesn't stay overnight.

If the homes are located within her metropolitan area then only the miles between the homes would qualify.

Comment

where she normally works

>>Since she is traveling away from home<<

The regs on this are referring to her TAX HOME, not her primary residence. Her tax home is the general area where she normally works.

Comment

Thanks Jainen, now I am awake.

I have so much to do with people who don't have one single normal work place (tax home)that I totally ignored the "tax home" rules.

Will I ever master this one area of the code?

Comment

Working...
              X