help in the home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Well, my mom has been home almost 2 weeks now. She was extremely weak and wobbly at first. She's getting a little better each day. Having issues with anger about her life. She has to have someone with her all the time and has to use her walker all the time. I feel bad for her because she has always been so independent. But things are different and we all have to adjust.
    I have a lady that used to work for an agency that is staying with her 2 nights and 8 hours on Sunday. She is charging me $260 for all of that time, which is about $8 an hours. I have another person that will stay 2 nights a week too. I will probably use an agency for 2 more days for 6 hours. So we will be spending about $800 a week for outside help. Scheduling people is a real pain too. But I am doing it all.
    I'll have them fill out the paper work and get started with this job.

Thanks for your suggestions and kind words.

Linda, EA

Comment

update - OT

Well, here we are months later. My mother is at home and doing well. She has to use her walker to get around all the time now. She does well with it most of the time. I think her larger problem is the macular degeneration she has. She has no sight in left eye and very limited in right. So she is basically blind.
      We have 24/7 care for her in her home. That is where she wants to be. She really seems to function better at her own home since she is so familiar with it. Right now I have 5 people I pay and my husband, my brother and his wife and I all take a turn staying with her as does my daughter. 2 days on the weekend I use an agency. She doesn't want to use agencies because they charge so much.
      For several months it has been difficult dealing with her. She wants to be independent and she isn't anymore. But I will have to say the past few weeks have been better. But she does have definite signs of dementia or Alzheimers so she will have good days and bad days. For now we are managing.
      I am really overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do each week. I have to keep her schedule going and pay the sitters. I take care of her herb business and her personal business, my tax business and my life too. I let about 60 of my clients go this past tax season because I just couldn't keep up with everything I have to do.
      My husband and I went with another couple on an extended holiday for 26 days the end of August to Scotland, England and Ireland. It was amazing!! We really had a good time. We were ready to come home but so much more we wanted to see. And my mother survived without me there. Although my brother learned what all I do and he had his eyes opened.
      I'm doing some research and catching up with the board. Hope you are all doing well.

Linda F

Comment

Good news, but make sure your brother is now picking up his share of the work (and including any other siblings that may be around.) No one really knows how pervasive this is until they have to go through it themselves. And there will come a time when a nursing home is the only option......

Comment

Experts in Handling Home Pay

Linda,

This company is good w/good website - lots of information.

The director is Tom Breedlove and I've heard him offer help at several seminars.

Best to you & Mom
          Mike

Comment

thanks

Thanks mactoolsix for the website. I'll check it out. But I know how to do this and the hours are not always the same. I'm ok writing out checks....at least for now.

Linda F.

Comment

Working...
            X